PDA

View Full Version : What book/author is this?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

abutler76
March 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM
hello!

i read a book in my childhood, that was possibly from a series. it was set in the future where the remnants of an ancient alien race had been found, scattered all over the universe. in particular, humans had found these alien ships that had these instant transportation abilities. the only problem was, we didn't really know how they worked. so you sort of pressed a button and were instantly transported to some point in the universe. it was seen as very risky, because you might transport to someplace really far away and never be able to return. but there was also the possibility of transporting to a place where lots of alien artifacts could be found, so you could return and become very rich.

that's sort of all i remember. i've thought about the books a lot over the years, but just could not remember who the author was or what the book(s) were called.

thanks for your help! : )

Hobbit
March 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Sounds like Gateway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_%28novel%29) by Frederik Pohl?

(Series of books followed: see Heechee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heechee).)

Mark

abutler76
March 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
that's it! the heechees! it's all coming back to me now, thank you!

should i delete this post now, or somehow say it's solved?

Hobbit
March 17th, 2010, 07:56 PM
should i delete this post now, or somehow say it's solved?
No, that's fine, abutler: pleased we've solved it.

Mark

tulsa
March 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I read Gateway back in my high school days! Wow, haven't thought about that whole Heechee series in forever.. makes me want to reread them now. I remember I really liked them.

Hobbit
March 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
makes me want to reread them now. I remember I really liked them.

You know, tulsa: happens to me all the time! One of the things that happens round here, the more you stay: that and the demands on your wallet. :D

I'm now thinking how many of the Heechee books I read. Three I think... but I'm not sure. :)

Mark

tulsa
March 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yep!

I'm kinda lucky, though. The Tulsa, OK library folks are awesome. If they don't have a book at any of their libraries, they'll go outside the system to get it for me.
They've even purchased titles before if I've requested.

THAT saves me money!
:D