PDA

View Full Version : Merging sci-fi and fantasy - help!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Se'dray-on
June 17th, 2002, 02:10 PM
My novel is placed on Earth in the year 10,000. The Earth had a nuclear war during the year 3,000 or so. Civilization was slow to regain technology. Eventually, they did, but because of the Nuclear War, all form of Nucleonics are banned and only single shot guns or revolver pistols are allowed.

Nano technology is being discovered from some ancient runes. Genetic manipulation is an old science found since the Nuclear War, lost and found again. Computers are everywere, all types. Mechanized transport is rarely available because of power problems and almost no proper roadways are found.

Anything else, please help. I need ideas on how to intergrate technology in a semi-primitive state. Thanx

Shef
June 17th, 2002, 04:59 PM
I suggest that you read Fred Saberhagens Swords series. It has an "old world" technology like flashlights and spaceships, demons were spawned from terrible nucleur events and the such. It is a rathar interesting approach that appears similar to yours. So if you want, you could probably glisten some ideas from that.

Hope that helps.
Shef

Colossus
June 18th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Is anyone else aware of other examples of Fantasy and Sci-Fi being mixed in the way Se'dray-on describes?

Ladijen
June 18th, 2002, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure whether or not this is similar, but in the Recluse series Modesitt has a combination of magic and technology. Steam engines and guns are available, but they are affected by magic (order and chaos). For example, a gun is usually not the best choice weapon because it is very susceptible to chaos-magic sabatoge.

(Don't know if this helps or not.)