PDA

View Full Version : Seeking title/author of old book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Ok I read this in the 1968 to 1972 time frame (I think). It was an older beat-up paperback so was published even earlier I would say. In it the babies were tested and some were "rejected " as being defective. A man doesn't accept that his baby is really defective and investigates and finds the "rejects" are really the best and brightest and they are raised to colonize another World/dimension. He finds that the cyborg which is a human merged with a computer that is in control of the society also was a "reject". I want to say the "rejects" are marked with a visible mark which the cyborg shows the man he has too. I remember the cyborg straining to lift the limb it has the mark on out of the tank he is in...I think the colonization was via a portal of some kind. I believe the cyborg and the portal were both on some sort of space station orbiting the planet. Not sure but I don't think the planet was earth...If anyone else can pin down an author or name of the book I would be so appreciative.

Highroller
March 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well at first I thought it was by Douglas Mason. I have read 2 or 3 by him that were one person against the whole society so to speak but I checked his list of works and found a thumbnail sketch of most if not all of them that I didn't have a copy of. Then I thought maybe Edmond Cooper same on their work.

Part of the problem is while I remember pretty close to when I read it, it was an old beat-up coverless pb so I have no real clue when it was published. And a lot of the details I remember may be a bit paraphrased. As an example I remember the cyborg ie the human merged with the computer but I am not sure it was called a cyborg. May have been referred to by a title. I know the babies/infants were tested but I don't remember if there was a certain term used for the testing. I don't remember any names of the characters. I have tried every combination I can think of doing searches on google but no luck so far.

I got 4 or 5 message base sites trying to id it so hopefully I'll get lucky. Several people wanting to read it if I can ID it (lol). One person is pretty sure they read it but can't remember title or author either... One of the books I IDed for someone they had been looking for for 2 years so its way too soon to give up )

At worst going through other people's posts I found what sounds like books I would like to read myself so onward !!

Thanks for all those than have tried to ID it.

Highroller
June 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Bump. Still hoping on this one.