View Full Version : LOTR on Blu-Ray

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Daddy Darth
March 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Anyone going to pick this up? A part of me is itching too but I have it on DVD in the Theatrical and Extended editions. I cant see myself buying Blu-rays of all my favourite movies. DVDs look pretty good amped up on my BR player. Will it be that much better?

What to do what to do?

Evil Agent
March 31st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Seriously... No one is a bigger fan than me (I think I've seen the trilogy 100+ times), but this Blu-Ray release really makes me angry. :mad:

Let me explain:

1) I already own both the Theatrical and the Extended Editions on DVD. Many other fans probably do as well. Do we really need to buy these movies for a third time?

Well, maybe... but not yet! This leads me to #2...

2) The fact that they're only releasing the Theatrical versions makes this a 100% blatant cash grab. If they released both versions at once, they would be giving fans the option to choose which they preferred. But why do that, when they can squeeze even more money out of us? Think about it for a minute, and you will realize that there is no justification whatsoever for only releasing the Theatrical versions.

3) The Extended Editions will undoubtedly be released on Blu-Ray, probably in a couple of years (to coincide with the release of The Hobbit films). What will the fans do then? Obviously, they will buy the Extended Editions. By that point, many fans will have purchased these films FOUR times! Seriously, if the Extended Editions are eventually released, will anyone be happy with these Theatrical Blu-Rays? I never watch my Theatrical DVD's anymore, and I'm sure we will stop watching our Theatrical Blu-Rays too.

4) This one is a personal choice, but I'm still holding out against Blu-Ray in general. I think Blu-Ray is mostly just a marketing strategy in response to declining DVD sales. What's wrong with DVD's? Mine still look and sound fantastic (especially the Extended LOTR which, being spread out across two discs, have such a great transfer that they look almost as good as the Blu-Rays will). I will probably buy a Blu-Ray player eventually, but I resent the fact that they're already trying to make my DVD's obsolete, only a few years after I spent so much money on them.

So, in short: there is NO reason whatsoever to buy these. If you absolutely need to watch them, then go rent them.

DailyRich
March 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Thing is, no one is making anyone buy them. Want to wait for the Extended Editions? Fine, go ahead. Don't want to replace your DVDs? Don't. But there are som people (myself included) who, although they enjoy the EEs, think there are some ways in which the theatricals are better, and want to have both editions at their disposal in the best quality format available.

I mean, just because the theatricals are coming out first doesn't mean you have to buy them, or can't buy the EEs later. So I really don't get the anger.

Evil Agent
March 31st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thing is, no one is making anyone buy them. Want to wait for the Extended Editions? Fine, go ahead. Don't want to replace your DVDs? Don't. But there are som people (myself included) who, although they enjoy the EEs, think there are some ways in which the theatricals are better, and want to have both editions at their disposal in the best quality format available.

I mean, just because the theatricals are coming out first doesn't mean you have to buy them, or can't buy the EEs later. So I really don't get the anger.The anger comes from the fact that they're trying to manipulate us. Blatantly.

Of course I don't have to buy them (and I won't), but not everyone is capable of realizing that, or making that choice. People will go and spend their money, regardless of whether they actually want the Theatrical versions, because of the clever marketing strategy. You may be the exception: a person who honestly enjoys both versions of the movie, and is aware of the marketing, but still feels there is some value in purchasing both versions. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who won't have that same awareness, and will just buy this because it's being sold to them.

Just because I can choose not to buy them, doesn't mean this isn't a well-calculated rip-off scheme. It is. That's what marketing is all about, and this is a prime example. Once again, I pose the question: why isn't the Extended Edition being offered at the same time? There is no good answer to that question. The only possible answer is "so we can make twice the profit".

DailyRich
March 31st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately, there are many people out there who won't have that same awareness, and will just buy this because it's being sold to them.

Well, at the risk of sounding callous, I don't have a lot of sympathy for those people. If you feel like you have to buy everything that's peddled to you, you've got bigger problems than getting double-dipped on LOTR discs.

Daddy Darth
March 31st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I also have not rewatched my theatrical rereleases. It saddens me - I think I will take them to the cottage.

I likely wont buy this release b/c I do think my DVDs look fine (By the way I had no intention of buying a BR player till my DVD went haywire and thought what the Hell).

I think EA is right this is being done is such fashion as to maximize sales. And hey I dont blame em in part.

Here is the scary part - next comes the 3-D releases. I stopped into Future Shop today. There was a freaking 3-D tv and I checked it out. It is too damn cool. Just wait the 3-D Blu-Ray editions will be out in the next few years.

Its like an arms race - when will it end?

Loerwyn
March 31st, 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm wondering what took them so long, personally. Blu-Ray's been around what, a year or two now?
I'm content with DVDs, but I don't actually own LotR yet (yes, shame on me!). I'll be ordering the Extended Editions at some point, I think :)

Evil Agent
March 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Here is the scary part - next comes the 3-D releases. I stopped into Future Shop today. There was a freaking 3-D tv and I checked it out. It is too damn cool. Just wait the 3-D Blu-Ray editions will be out in the next few years.

Its like an arms race - when will it end?Exactly. The trilogy is definitely going to be converted to 3D. Then they'll probably release the Theatricals in 3D, and eventually the Extended in 3D.

By my count, that's 6 versions to buy! :rolleyes:

I've already spent hundreds of dollars on these movies in the cinema, on DVD, and collecting various merchandise and action figures. I'm a huge Tolkien fan, but even I have my limits.

Daddy Darth
April 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
If they rerelease in 3-D I'll pre-order a ticket. I would love to see these movies in the theater again. That would be really nice.

DarthV
April 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
3D for home is pretty much only a gimmick. Sure the effects in Avatar were great on a big screen, but it will partially fall flat when viewing on a 42" LCD in your living room. I sit about 7-8' from my 52" and it's still too small for 3d effects to be worth spending the money on that tech right now.

As for the LOTR bluray release, a lot of enthusiast forums have been saying that they didn't do a particularly good job with the video transfer. Which is a shame since they were supposed to be released in 2009. I've seen screenshots that compare the bluray and HDTV caps with the HD broadcast images being superior.

I was planning on holding out for the eventual EE's on bluray anyways. They better do a much better job on them!