PDA

View Full Version : Short Story contest?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Colossus
June 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Erebus:

I saw your "sticky posting" with the list of short stories that are in a contest. I also saw you mention another contest in the future. Can you give me some details about these contests? If there is a posting or section about it somewhere please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Erebus
June 18th, 2002, 08:33 AM
We will post a link to the entry page when we launch the next contest. Not sure exactly when that will be, but we'll let everyone know, that's for sure.

This first contest was for 1000 word (max) stories in the relevant SF, F or Horror genres, and closed on May 31st, with final winners announced June 30th. We may be able to increase this for the next contest, possibly to 2,500 words, as we received many requests to do so.

1000 words is a great challenge though, in fact, I just entered a micro contest where 50 words was the max...yes 50! Previously, the shortest I'd entered myself was 250 words.

Colossus
June 18th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Sometimes I have trouble just saying 'hello' in less than 50 words? I would love to see what you submitted (or will submit).

Erebus
June 18th, 2002, 08:53 AM
You can find details of that partcular Flash Fiction contest HERE (http://www.sf.org.au/aurealis/aurealisxpress.html), as well as an example of a past winner. If mine has no luck there I shall post it here eventually....maybe. ;)

Erebus
July 15th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Colossus
Sometimes I have trouble just saying 'hello' in less than 50 words? I would love to see what you submitted (or will submit).

Well, guess what happened...? I shall share the news below...

Hi Neil

Thank you for your recent entry into aurealisXpress's Flash Fiction competition. I'm pleased to inform you that your story, Anomaly, has been selected as a winner and will appear in the July edition.

Please could you select a book from the list below, and forward your postal address to me so that I can send out your prize.

Regards
Sara Creasy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Editor, aurealisXpress

Alucard
July 15th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Wow. Congrats, Erebus! 50 words must have been a toughie. I was struggling over a story twice that length. :) By the way, what did you win?

Erebus
July 15th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Thanks, Alucard! :)

The prize was a paperback from a list of 12. I chose Maxine McArthur's Time Past a SF novel and sequel to her Time Future novel, which I also have, but haven't read yet. Now I can read them together!

Colossus
July 15th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Congrats Erebus. I tell you, you guys are my heroes!!! :D

So let's take a look at this micro story of yours. :)

Erebus
July 15th, 2002, 08:38 PM
So let's take a look at this micro story of yours.

Okay then, here it is...

ANOMALY

The mysterious anomaly advanced slowly as it fed off my fears.

Undaunted, I confronted its evil, defying its ever-present honesty as it hovered…judging me.

I smiled at my reflection…then smashed a trembling fist into the glass.

Victorious, I stepped over my fragmented soul and began the long journey home.
Copyright © 2002 Neil C. Cladingboel
>>>>>>> a u r e a l i s X p r e s s <<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>> July 2002 edition <<<<<<<<<

estranghero
July 16th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Good one, erebus. Very thought-provoking for such a small piece, it set off questions in my head. :)