PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a story.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Snoogans
April 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I need some help finding a short story I read in my youth but can't remember the name of. The story is a follows...

On a distant planet with a atmosphere toxic to humans, but an administrator is attempting to colonize the planet with an indiginous life form. Through a transformation process a person can be turned into the indigious life form. They have tried several times to do this, but the test subjects never come back. The administrator agrees to go through with the process. He also has the transformation process done to his dog. The two are able to communicate for the first time as they walk along the surface of this planet. When it comes time to go back the dog refuses becuse something is pulling him to the others living on the planet. They both go on and do not return to the human base.

If anyone knows what the name of this story is please let me know. I think this is Asimov or Bradburry story but can't find it.

shrike522
April 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
The story is called "Desertion" by Clifford D. Simak.
It is in the book entitiled "City" a set of loosely connected tales based on a family named Webster and their Dogs. 1952 It won a Hugo.

Snoogans
April 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thank you!

That was the story I was thinking of. :)

chaunur
April 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that information on the source of the story, I have it in a anthology but didn't realize its origins. Now I need to try to find the book you mentioned

Hitmouse
April 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM
City is a lovely, haunting book. One of the classics.