PDA

View Full Version : tell me more about your work!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

manticore
June 18th, 2002, 02:44 PM
havent been to the writing section much before - was most impressed with the whole Strife controversy. if that is what life is like in this section, I'll be back regularly. :D

. but reading the posts i was wondering-- so who else here is a published author? And what are the books? Tell me. I want to know

manti 'the manticore' core :D

edit: was browsing through this forum and found a similar question, so just adding another question as a mild form of self-justification:

how long do most publishers (UK/US) take to respond after manuscript submissions?and though the covering letter is really important, for a first-time writer with no impressive credits, what can a covering letter be?

Shef
June 18th, 2002, 03:13 PM
I am not really a published author. I was in the childrens anthology Monsters, Memories, and More, I was also in the upper echelons of a few contests, but it appears that many publishers are frightened to consider a minors work.

That is alright though, because the more I write the better I get.
So when I reach an older age I will already have a bit of practice writing. :)

BTW- The Strife controversy is a rarity in this forum. IMHO he had ban written all over him for a while.

Shef

LeMort
June 18th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Ah yes, poor Strife failed to master the fine art of mixing genuine insults with informative criticism.

A skill which, I might add, I think I excel at! :)

Shef
June 18th, 2002, 04:00 PM
You and me both my brother. :) It really is a shame that he had to overeact that much. :rolleyes:

milamber_reborn
June 19th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Those I know of from this forum are:

James Barclay (NOM)
William Alan Reiser (Penumbra)
Neil Cladingboel (Erebus)
Kevin Radthorne (Radthorne)
Steve Savile (Kane)

Erebus
June 19th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by manticore
...how long do most publishers (UK/US) take to respond after manuscript submissions?and though the covering letter is really important, for a first-time writer with no impressive credits, what can a covering letter be?

Some can take up to 6 months...or longer!

I have a submisson with TOR atm, and they have had it 3 months now. Still no news, but they ask you not to query again until 4 months have elapsed!:(

The Preditors and Editors site is a good one for info, and they have some examples (http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubquery.htm) of query/cover letters etc. If you vist, check out the rest of the site - I find it quite helpful at times.

Cheers, Neil

manticore
June 19th, 2002, 01:49 AM
thanks.

I have a submission with Tor too! but its just been there a month now...guess I have to plan other things to do for the next few years :(

Gary Wassner
June 19th, 2002, 04:57 PM
My first book was published in May of 2000. Since then, I have completed the second and third book in the same series and I am now writing the fourth. Obviously (or not?), the series is called GemQuest.
All publishers are different. In the states, if the manuscript is sent in unsolicited to a big house, it can take six months. The smaller presses are faster for some unknown reason, since they recieve thousands of submissions as well, and they have a smaller staff. You have to figure on 8 weeks at least, unless the publisher does not handle the type of work you submitted and responds immediately.
Since I write rather quickly, I can finish a new book before I hear about the previous one!! That's kind of silly, isn't it?

manticore
June 20th, 2002, 01:43 AM
doesnt sound silly at all! of course, since youre already published, and youre giving the book to the same publisher, it must mean you write really fast...

Gary Wassner
June 20th, 2002, 10:00 AM
I have been writing a book every 9 or ten months now. It takes another two months or so to edit. But, in fact, I am looking for a different publisher for the entire series now. Finding that seems to me to be much more difficult than writing! Ironic, huh? That's life these days for new authors.