PDA

View Full Version : help with title/author on novel(?)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

rainswept
April 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I read in the early 80s a novel wherein two men & a woman are involved in a violent love triangle that is replicated as they die & are reincarnated. Eventually one of the men figures out what is happening and creates a device to trap the soul of the other man, allowing him to enjoy several incarnations with his destined love before the other man can escape the soul trap.

It's a really cool concept & I would love to re-read it.

sjhigbee
April 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hm... It sounds a bit like the last volume in Kage Baker's series The Company where Edward Alton Bell-Fairfax manages to trap the other versions of him through time so that he gets woman they all love to himself. I'm reluctant to say too much more, as its the 7th book in the series and wraps up all the other dangling plot points.

Even if it isn't the book you are looking for, if the idea intrigued you the first time around, you might check out the series. I think they make for an absolutely cracking read. The first book is In the Garden of Iden[I/I]. Although they follow on from each other, they can be read as stand-alone books. [I]Mendoza in Hollywood, the third book in the series, is one of my all-time greatest science fiction reads.

Pellinore
April 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
This sounds somewhat like a distortion of some of the sub-plots of Zelazny's Lord of Light (Particularly with Kali, Yama, and Sam), which may fit your timeframe better.

rainswept
April 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
It was long ago, and I'm sure I only read the front half of the book, if that. There do seem to be definite similarities, and what I remember could well be a mishmash of Zelazny's cycle.

One of the parts I (think that I) remember is the inventor of the soul catcher mounting it as an "experiment", like a weather station or something, near the workplace of his foe. Ultimately the second man dies and then the story takes some time to describe his repeated passages through the flaming circles or rings of not-quite-incarnation. Eventually he does incarnate (perhaps because in the far future the machine has been destroyed?) and the story resumes.

Agh. As far as perception goes, Memory itself seems more reincarnation than resurrection :confused:

rainswept
May 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Solved in another thread (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34323) by mylinar! Thanks :)