PDA

View Full Version : A vague book I remember, need author + title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zefix
April 27th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hi there, found that this is a perfect site to ask about this book that has been bugging me..

I read it around 10 years ago, pretty sure the author is somewhat famous, and its a series writer, thus the book might be part of a series..

Anyway what I remember was that the story was about our protagonist going to another planet and being hypnotized in the beginning to understand the language or smth like that. So theres hypnotizing to gain knowledge.

The other important feature was that it was a mix of medieval theme in it, because that planet was less advanced than others. However there's a very obvious balance of advanced technology vs feudal tradition.

There were feudal lords or smth like that and they had tournaments to gain districts/zones. The protagonist on that planet helped some lord to win all the tournaments to preserve the balance. One of the antagonists feudal lord was hiring an 'outsider' who used advanced technology on a lance trying to beat our main protagonist in a tournament style where horses charge each other with lances.

Don't remember much else, apart in the end he employed a lawyer who was hunchbacked and needed credits to fix it. Some explosions in a warehouse (I think) and that was pretty much it.

acton bell
May 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Could it be one of Ron Goulart's Barnum System books? The mix of feudal and tech sounds a bit like The Shaggy Planet.

Zefix
May 18th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Unfortunately no but thanks for the effort :)