View Full Version : Help finding an old short story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

sclaresjy
May 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
Please help!

Sometime around 1974 I read a short story in a high school sci-fi text book and have not been able to find it since.

The story was about a female who at first was describing her death, but was soon describing what we would call being born. It seems to the reader as if, she was being reincarnated. She seemed to be describing the process as if she were going to hell after her life. She was describing coming into the world as something that is horrible, you're crying, it's too bright all of the sudden, and that you're screaming. She then goes on to describes the world (her death). I remember the character thinking that the people in this world (her hell) described ugly growths and fungus as beautiful trees and flowers.

And that's all I can remember. Thank you in advance.

sclaresjy
May 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone? I know it's vague but I hope maybe someone has heard of it.

mpemburn
May 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
This sounds a little familiar. Maybe by Harlan Ellison or in one of his "Dangerous Visions" anthologies? I used to read a lot of his stuff but the box labeled "Science Fiction E-G" got lost in a move some time in the '90s. Many relevant brain cells died some years before that.

Mark