View Full Version : Fantasy WW2 stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

AuraTodd
May 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone know where I can find stories which mix fantasy with WW2? Many thanks.

Hobbit
May 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Harry Turtledove.

Mark

tulsa
May 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Yep. Harry Turtledove! One of my favorites.

The whole World War series was awesome. I own all of them on my Amazon Kindle.

Wouldn't really classify that particular series as fantasy, though. More like alternate history/sci fi.

But I think some of his other WW-based novels have fantasy. look through here for more details:
http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/turtledove.html

I seem to remember one of the novels was based on the war where all the major powers had actual powers of magic. Can't remember which, though.

lolrus
May 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Check out John Birmingham (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weapons-Choice-World-Axis-Trilogy/dp/0141029110/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_5).

DailyRich
May 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
It's Turtledove's Darkness series that's the fantasy WWII story.

Randy M.
May 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Anyone know where I can find stories which mix fantasy with WW2? Many thanks.

If you want fantasy on the battlefront, this might not be for you: The Narrows by Alex Irvine. I haven't read it yet, but it's a story set on the American homefront where a Detroit factory produces Golems. The short story that I think the novel grew from was quite good.

Probably tangential to your request, but I'll mention it anyway just in case someone is interested: Several of the ghost stories Elizabeth Bowen wrote were set during WWII because that's when they were written. The ones I've read, I'd recommend highly: "Mysterious Kor," "The Cat Jumps," "The Demon Lover," and "The Happy Autumn Fields." Wonderfully written short stories.

Randy M.

Werthead
May 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
David Brin wrote an excellent short story called Thor Meets Captain America, published in The River of Time IIRC. In it we discover that the Nazis have brought the Norse gods back into existence through mass blood sacrifices and black magic rituals. Whilst Odin, Thor and company have sided with the Nazis, Loki hooks up with the Allies who find themselves suddenly in danger of being overwhelmed by the Ragnarok-empowered Nazis and dwarf-crewed U-boats.

Totally bonkers, but very well-written. Also nice to see Loki as the good guy for a change. Brin produced a longer version as a graphic novel a few years back called The Life Eaters, which I haven't read yet.

Certainly that's the only major WW2-meets-fantasy story I can think of.

Turtledove's Worldwar series is alt-history with an SF pulp fiction crossover (sentient space lizards invade Earth in 1942!) whilst his Darkness series uses WW1 and 2 as an inspiration but it's set in its own world and setting.

suciul
May 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Turtledove's Worldwar series is alt-history with an SF pulp fiction crossover (sentient space lizards invade Earth in 1942!) whilst his Darkness series uses WW1 and 2 as an inspiration but it's set in its own world and setting.

Actually Darkness is WW2 with magic - volume 1 is 1939-40, vol 2 is 1941, vol 3 is 1942, vol 4 is 1943, vol 5 is 1944 and vol 6 is 1945; all the major events of WW2 are recreated in magical context (Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Normandy, Hiroshima, the Holocaust, even the ending Cold War like...); very captivating but you need the time for it

Of recent books Bitter Seeds is awesome fantasy (alt) WW2

Werthead
May 21st, 2010, 03:45 AM
Actually Darkness is WW2 with magic - volume 1 is 1939-40, vol 2 is 1941, vol 3 is 1942, vol 4 is 1943, vol 5 is 1944 and vol 6 is 1945; all the major events of WW2 are recreated in magical context (Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Normandy, Hiroshima, the Holocaust, even the ending Cold War like...); very captivating but you need the time for it

Yes, it's closely inspired by it. But it isn't set on the real Earth with Germany, France, Russia, Japan, Britain etc as the countries engaged in battle. I thought the OP wanted the 'real' WW2 mixed up with fantastical stories, not a fantasised xerox of it.

suciul
May 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yes, it's closely inspired by it. But it isn't set on the real Earth with Germany, France, Russia, Japan, Britain etc as the countries engaged in battle. I thought the OP wanted the 'real' WW2 mixed up with fantastical stories, not a fantasised xerox of it.

You are right of course that Algarve is not Germany and so on and the geography is different and has lots of ironies (ice becomes desert and the reverse so "Finland" is an equatorial like country and North Africa is an Antarctic like continent, north is reversed with south and east with west) behemoths instead of tanks... but the main difference is the aristocratic ethos of Darkness rather than the action per se;

Still the books are a delight for fans of both sff and WW2 historical fiction and they achieve a good retelling of WW2 in a fantasy setting; if you want our Earth and our WW2 then if you include fantasy (or sf) that has any significance (eg not like in Cryptonomicon where the sf-nal elements are negligible as the big picture goes), you have to change things drastically as in Bitter Seeds or Turtledove WW series