PDA

View Full Version : What did everybody think of FOTR?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Miriamele
June 22nd, 2002, 06:31 PM
I was curious what everyone thought of Fellowship of the Ring.

Myself I just watched it again last night, and I liked it more the second time than the first. The actors are good, the sets and costumes are beautiful, and the fight scenes are really enjoyable--although I disliked the part in Lothlorien, it was just plain weird. (Why did everything look blue and glowing?)

In all I think it was a good movie, but really what it did most for me was make me want to read the book again, to get the whole story. There were too many times in the movie when I thought "Oh, they just left something important out." I don't think it's really possible to do such a great book justice in movie form, although Peter Jackson did come pretty close. I will definitetly see The Two Towers when it comes out.

What does everyone else think about it?

Alucard
June 22nd, 2002, 06:42 PM
I loved it, and when you consider the fact that I didn't like the book, that's really saying something. I think Jackson did a great job and I'm eagerly awaiting the Two Towers.

But I hear that they are releasing a director's cut DVD of FOTR in novemeber, which will be a half an hour longer and rated R rather than PG-13. If so, this is definitely on my "buy it immediately after it comes out" list.

LePeze
June 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
I didn't like the movie very much. The music and the scenery were great but I found the actors not that good.

Miriamele
June 23rd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Really, was there a particular actor whose performance you disliked? I'm curious to know.

Personally I thought all the actors were quite capable. I think they did a good job of keeping the movie characters like the ones in the book.

I'm a big fan of the book, so maybe I'm biased. But I still think the acting was very good.

LePeze
June 24th, 2002, 11:21 AM
The actors weren't bad. The characters they had to play were a bit one-dimensional to me. And ofcourse an other reason I didn't like the movie very much was because I already knew what was going to happen.

ChrisW
June 24th, 2002, 11:28 AM
It sucked imho. Bad acting or perhaps as LePeze said the characters are one dimensional.

-Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

Kingslayer
June 24th, 2002, 11:43 AM
I thought the film was good, but it was a pale shadow of the books.Nothing can recreate the atmosphere of Middle Earth.But atleast it didn't get the 'Hollywood Treatment'.Bruce Willis as Boromir, Keanu Reeves as Aragorn.Makes me feel ill to think about it :eek:

If you want to see truly bad acting, go see Harry Potter.

enazwo
June 26th, 2002, 03:59 PM
It is interesting how popular subjects can become so polarized with nearly vehemently contrasting opinions.

For example in on the internet movie database www.imdb.com there is an extraordinary debate about the movie "Titanic" and "Julia Roberts".

Here it seems as if Robert Jordan, Martin, and Eddings generate quite a lively debate.

So it is with trepidation that I bare my soul to slings and arrows expressing how much I freaking loved "The Fellowship of the Ring"

I saw it opening night and took in six more showings in the following weeks. Then when the trailer for "The Two Towers" was added I went and saw it again. Now its playing at the dollar cinema with the trailer. So I have seen three more times and of course I couldn't pass up seeing on fifty cent night.

I had of course read the books and it was with great fear I went to the opening night. But I had learned long ago there is just about no chance that a movie is going to contain all the elements a book is going to. So I had resigned myself that a movie version of a book is required by its nature to be different if not completely crappy.

So I was amazed how much I loved this movie. The opening sequence with the excellent music and moody narrative was awesome. I could go on and on about it.

I still loved it after eleven viewings and still find myself getting lost in this excellent movie.

Miriamele
June 26th, 2002, 04:24 PM
I just saw a downloaded trailer of The Two Towers and I think it will be even better than FOTR. Lots of sword fights and exciting battle scenes.

But I did like FOTR, from beginning to end.

It sucks that we have to wait until December to see the next one.

enazwo
June 27th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Yes though it may seem like a long wait it will be nothing like having to wait between "The Empire Stikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", which is the last time I was so totally into a looking foward to a movie. I just hope that I don't experience the disappointment I did when "Return of the Jedi" did come out.

I'm anticipating that I will love The Two Towers because the preview looked TOTALLY FREAKING AWESOME, and director Peter Jackson is, as we speak, back in New Zealand with Ian Mckellen, Liv Taylor and the other leads shooting some extra scenes to augment the story. Rumor has it that after seeing Attack of the Clones, Jackson felt he should do extra to make sure his movie doesn't have any of weak the points AotC had.

I'm looking foward to when "Return of the King" comes out and hopefully a theater will be playing all three and I will beable to make a entire day of watching all three installments in one day.