PDA

View Full Version : Free Portal from Steam

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

DurzoBlint
May 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but Steam is offering Portal for free (for PC and Mac) if you download their free steam application. This is in celebration of Valves arrival of the back catalogue of their games and to help promote the soon-to-be-released Portal 2.

Its a limited time offer and ends 24 May 2010.

So check it out Portal is a great game and I hope Portal 2 is just as good.

Free Portal from Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/)

What is Portal:

Portal sees the player having to escape from a test facility using an experimental 'portal gun' to teleport around locations solving increasingly fiendish puzzles whilst being threatened by the facility's somewhat deranged AI, known as GLADOS. The game was an unexpected huge critical and commercial success when it was released as part of Valve's Orange Box compilation in late 2007. The game generated further success when its somewhat demented title song, 'Still Alive', became a big hit thanks to its inclusion in the Rock Band game.

Loerwyn
May 13th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Still Alive was a hit before Rock Band was released, IMHO. It's become a geek classic! Jonathan Coulton is an absolute genius, and he has a song in Left 4 Dead 2 (Re: Your Brains).

But yes, if you've not got Portal, go and get it! It's an absolutely brilliant game with a ton of black humour.

Chuffalump
May 14th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Agreed. I have the Steam package with Half Life ?? that included Portal. To be honest I enjoyed Portal more. Plus Half Life ?? gave me motion sickness. Couldn't play for more than half an hour without feeling sick.

Loerwyn
May 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
The Orange Box, perhaps? Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal?

Dunno what you were doing to make HL2 give you motion sickness though. Did you have V-Sync on?

Chuffalump
May 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
:) I don't even know what V-sync IS.

But yes. It was the Orange Box. Never had a problem with a FPS on the PS3 or even Portal on the PC but regular as clockwork with HL2. Probably just too close to the screen.

Loerwyn
May 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
If you want to try again, get in touch and I'll try to guide you through the settings to see if we can pinpoint the issue.

Chuffalump
May 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the offer Dwagginz but I lost the lot during a reinstall, after a big problem last year. Eventually traced the fault to my graphics card so now I'm running via the onboard chipset. Never got round to reinstalling since I couldn't face replaying half the game.:eek: