View Full Version : looking for advice

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Shanoncia
June 22nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
G'day friends! As some of you may know I've been quite busy writing a fantasy novel. It takes place of thousands of years... from the beginning of time ( the birth of the Gods and creation of earth ) mainly focusing on the life of one chracter and their impact on the entire fate of earth and it's peoples. Then there is a natural second story focusing on this main characters son, and the trials he faces after all the wars of the first story during the worlds recovery. Do you think I should put this whole saga into two distinct books or one long read? All input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Erebus
June 22nd, 2002, 11:11 PM
Moved here to the Writing section. :)

Radthorne
June 23rd, 2002, 01:54 AM
Hi, Shanoncia. Just based on the short description you've given, I would tend toward two separate books. The scope of your story sounds really big, and I think reaching a climax on the first part and then starting a new story thread with the son would tend to reduce the impact of the first part. The concept of another generation "picking up where the last one left off" seems like it would make a natural break, where each story could stand on its own as its own tale.

You might want to also take a look at the current thread here on "How long should a book be?", which has some interesting pros and cons on the subject of book length.

Erebus
June 23rd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Yes, I was going to suggest you check our other threads here as well in relation to just how much story you 'd like to include in your book etc.

Basically, it seems as if you have sufficient for two, but again, it depends on how much you want to tell in the first instance. You always need to reach some sort of a conclusion at the end of each book, IMO, but that doesn't stop you leaving the way open to link to the next of course.

Miriamele
June 23rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
I would definitely write the story as two separate books. Especially when you're a new writer just starting out; it's hard to get your first book published, even harder if it's a gigantic tome. Also I think readers are less likely to take a gamble on a new author if the book is huge. But that's just my opinion.

As you write the story you may find that it continually grows, anyway, and becomes long enough maybe even for 3 books.

estranghero
June 24th, 2002, 05:09 AM
You could do 2 separate stories... but do the main character's son first and then write the main character's own story.

That way, the son can have the feeling of living under the main character's shadow/ legend even as he lives his own adventure.

Just a thought... :D

Shanoncia
June 24th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Estranghero, that's a great idea !!! Thank you !!! I just might have to use it ...
:)

estranghero
June 25th, 2002, 12:54 AM
De nada. ;)

Us writers have to stick together, you know. Who else is going to read our works? :D

:cool:

Miriamele
June 25th, 2002, 10:52 AM
That's a slightly depressing thought.

estranghero
June 26th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Oh cheer up, Miri, I was exaggerating.

What I meant was that not only us writers would read each others works...

... but our moms as well. :D