PDA

View Full Version : What really happens to our manuscripts?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

manticore
June 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
we must know...

Nimea
June 24th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Well, what can I say - I am an optimist. :p

Ashgan
June 26th, 2002, 06:34 AM
i am a pessimist... we're all gonna die, the end of the world is coming, apocalypse is near and our manuscripts are suffering a fate unkown to any living being, except for the dreaed Editors who, by some, are not even considered to be living, aye! the souls of our manuscripts are doomed to eternal suffering in a paper-shreader equipped office/dungeon (it's the same thing, basically) and curse the day on which they were written... argh :mad:

user123
July 1st, 2002, 03:53 AM
All I really know is they keep coming back with a rejection note.

Erebus
July 1st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Well, after only a three and a half month wait, I finally heard back from TOR today regarding the submission of my latest novel. This in itself is quite something for me, as they've never actually replied previously! Needless to say though, the letter was one of rejection, in a standard format, as follows:

Dear Writer,

Thank you for giving us the chance to read your submission. We are sorry to say that we don't feel it is right for TOR at this time.

Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to reply individually to each author, however, please be assured that your work received a careful and fair evaluation.

We wish you the best of luck with your writing career; thank you again for thinking of TOR.

Sincerely,
The Editors

Well, I guess that says it all really, but, it does put me another step closer to an acceptance letter! :)

manticore
July 1st, 2002, 08:37 AM
like the letter i got from an agent, which cut deep - they said they were selective, and therefore couldnt represent me!

Gary Wassner
July 1st, 2002, 12:41 PM
You cannot allow yourself to take these rejections seriously! They are sometimes just so callous and unthinking that they are not worthy of stimulating your emotions!
I really would like to know who some of these agents are sending recent acceptance letters to and what genre they are writing in.
Erebus - My agent got the same rejection letter from TOR a year ago on my behalf. So, agenting is certainly not the answer. The agents that they don't know well they treat no differently than they do us lowly authors. you would think that they make their living off of us or something.

hollyshort
July 17th, 2002, 05:46 AM
I'm building quite a little collection of rejections myself.

Just wanted to ask everyone on the forum ---What's the nicest and the meanest rejections you have ever got?

Holbrook
July 17th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Erebus
Well, after only a three and a half month wait, I finally heard back from TOR today regarding the submission of my latest novel. This in itself is quite something for me, as they've never actually replied previously! Needless to say though, the letter was one of rejection, in a standard format, as follows:

Well, I guess that says it all really, but, it does put me another step closer to an acceptance letter! :)

Snap, :D Glad I am in such good company....

Though my next submission is going to blow their socks off..... So will yours.... most likely before mine *g*

Holbrook
July 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by hollyshort
I'm building quite a little collection of rejections myself.

Just wanted to ask everyone on the forum ---What's the nicest and the meanest rejections you have ever got?

The nicest.... Edge SF & F

The meanest... DAW

There was another which blew my top though. A publisher that also ran a vanity imprint (not mentioned in their info), I submited to the one and my manuscript got passed to the vanity!

That really made me mad, if I every go that way or POB It will be my decision.