PDA

View Full Version : Would Love to Find this Great Old Story..

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SnowyKat
May 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM
I read this book many, many years ago and it has always stayed with me even after reading thousands since.. Only a few have captured my imagination and stayed in my brain and this is one of them..

I can't recall the name or the author and have only retained bits and pieces of the storyline.. So hope what I give you will jog someone else's memory that can tell me the name of the book..

The gist of it was a tale about how our solar system had been traveling along with a cloud of dust or ions or something for millions of years and now we were coming out of it.. Once this happened a great change began to take place on the planet.. The animals suddenly began to show signs of intelligence and speech, mankind also began to grow by leaps and bounds, solving most the world's greatest problems before venturing out into space..

I wish I could give you more of the story, I remember the protagonist was male and a farmer, perhaps?

It is not Earth Abides, I've read that one.. The animals play a large part of the story as it seems to me the farm is where it first started.. It seems to me the main character was a bit slow and struggled with day to day living, but after Earth comes out of the cloud, he begins to realize he and the livestock are changing, becoming smarter..

Well, that's about the best I can do.. Hope some of you can help me..
Thanks.. :)

I was browsing through the threads to see if I could help anyone else and I suddenly thought of another book that I wanted to read again that I had read several years ago, so thought I'd throw it in here too.. It had to do with a young person (can't recall the sex but think it was a guy) who mind was invaded by a parasite while at the beach (I think).. It gave him a tremendous boost in mental powers and they could talk to each other telepathically.. That's about all I can recall.. Would love help finding either of these two books..

clinton
May 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
First book is Brain Wave by Poul Anderson.

SnowyKat
May 24th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks so much, Clinton.. That is indeed the book I was looking for.. The moment I saw that name 'Archie Brock', I knew it was the correct story.. Much appreciated..

Hope someone will be able to provide the same quick answer to my second question.. :)

SallyC
May 25th, 2010, 06:32 AM
You've not given much to go on, but I believe Needle by Hal Clement starts off that way.

SnowyKat
May 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks so much, Sally.. I believe this is indeed the story I was looking for.. Wow, 2 for 2 and I was thinking I'd probably never find these novels again.. I already ordered a copy of the first book, now I'll get Needle too.. Thanks again..
:)