PDA

View Full Version : mercenary sci-fi book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

vogelbaugh
May 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM
ok, i read this probably in the 80's, it was a series, it was about this mercenary, and his whole race were mercenaries, and he was somehow the only one of his race that was off planet when it was poisoned, he comes home and is in orbit, does some repairs on the outside of his ship, and the poison is so strong that he gets a dose of what killed his people on the planet... so he is dying, and out for revenge.... ??

mylinar
May 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
This has some elements of 'The Faded Sun' trilogy by C.J Cherryh, but I don't think this is quite what you were requesting. The time frame is right also, they were written in the late '70's

I have the first book and read a few pages then put it down. Nothing wrong with it just not the right book at the right time. Several decades later I still have not picked it back up. Oh well.

ewanmcculloch
February 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'm also trying to find this book. It was a series of 3 or 4 books. After the attack his bones were repleaced with indestructable metal and he was supported by some alien creature - I think it was a flying reptile or something.

Help!

Chuffalump
February 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
This one crops up regularly.

It's The Last Legionary series about a guy called Keill Randor by Douglas Hill.

dabender
September 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah - does anyone know where to get an ebook of it - its very hard to find

JimF
September 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM
Have you tried www.biblio.com. It is an agragator of online used bookstores. One of my favorite sites for used/rare/oop books. They seem to have several from that series listed.

dabender
September 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Jim

Have posted up another thread regarding this which has a link to PDF ebooks of the whole series I found buried somewhere. Can not seem to find any supplier who has released it officially as an ebook - if one does I will actually buy it :)

In meantime if ya wanna read and dload it:

http://www.univeros.com/usenet/cache/alt.binaries.ebooks/10.000.SciFi.and.Fantasy.Ebooks/Douglas%20Hill/ (http://www.univeros.com/usenet/cache/alt.binaries.ebooks/10.000.SciFi.and.Fantasy.Ebooks/Douglas%20Hill/)

JimF
September 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tip, but this is primarily a writer's forum. I am not sure if links to these kinds of downloads are kosher. You may want to double check the forum rules.

dabender
September 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Fair call Jim

I am fleshing out a sff book myself - its going to take forever to finish lol - Admittedly, if I eventually finish it, of course I am going to want people to buy it etc.

But when I am no longer alive and the publisher stopped production of it many many years ago (even the extremely cost effected eBook versions - no printing required) and the only way for someone to read it, if they wanted to, was to either get extremely lucky at the local library (which is reading it for free anyway) or buy an overpriced "collectors" used copy (The profits of which go neither to the writer, their estate or the original publisher) I know I would be more then fine with them finding a version to at least have a read of :)

As mentioned in my other post if I find an eBook I can purchase of the series I will do so and that link would posted for yall as well.