PDA

View Full Version : A couple of synapses short -- Help appreciated.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

mpemburn
May 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi Y'all,

It never ceases to amaze me how readily one can find a forum to answer whatever off-the-wall questions one may have. This is great!

I started reading SF in the '60s and (though it hardly seems fair) some of the once searing memories have started to slip away. I'd be exceedingly grateful if someone(s) could help me recall who-wrote-what based on these attenuated recollections:

a) Short story, possibly by Harlan Ellison: Biotechnology has evolved to the point where, not only are humans immortal, but death itself has been outlawed. The protagonist and his fellows pursue ever more extreme ways to shuffle their mortal coils, only to be caught and returned to shambling, painful life by the cruel, un-blinking State. The term "Soxhlet extractor" -- mentioned in this story -- has been forever lodged in my brain (why?).

b) Short story (or novella) possibly by Joe Haldeman: In an future of widespread galactic colonization, the descendants of the Old South are strivng to maintain their hegemony against the descendants of the Haitian Vodoun. Armies of pale, tow-headed Southrun Genlmen are massed against ranks of zombies. Remembered phrases are "the Worm Moray Eel" (War Memorial) and "the Gran Hounfort Nationale".

Hope those skimpy descriptions provide some clue. I'd love to read them again -- especially the second, which was exquisitely well written.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

ImaginaryEvents
February 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
If anyone cares at this late date, b) is from Richard Lupoff's *Space War Blues* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_War_Blues), likely the part printed in Ellison's "Again, Dangerous Visions" titled "With The Bentfin Boomer Boys On Little Old New Alabama".