PDA

View Full Version : Sci fi and fantasy comics/graphic novels

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

emma.waverley
June 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
In terms of fantasy I've been recommended the sandman (does this live up to all the hype?) and for sci fi I've been recommended the chimpanzee complex. I'm kind of partial to sci fi and fantasy novels and wanted to know whether there were any good comics/graphic novels in these genres.

kater
June 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I think you're far more likely to find sf comics/gns than fantasy because of the nature of the industry. It really depends on the types of sf/fantasy you're looking for - there's lots of franchise stuff out there from Star Wars to Firefly - there's also a decent amount of steampunk and survival fantasy that I guess drifts into horror. But otherwise things are a little lean on the ground, epic sf is very poorly catered for as is epic fantasy, so if you've got types in mind it might be better to narrow it down rather than have lists thrown at you that could vary greatly.

emma.waverley
June 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think you're far more likely to find sf comics/gns than fantasy because of the nature of the industry. It really depends on the types of sf/fantasy you're looking for - there's lots of franchise stuff out there from Star Wars to Firefly - there's also a decent amount of steampunk and survival fantasy that I guess drifts into horror. But otherwise things are a little lean on the ground, epic sf is very poorly catered for as is epic fantasy, so if you've got types in mind it might be better to narrow it down rather than have lists thrown at you that could vary greatly.

As much as I like Star Wars and Firefly I'd rather steer clear of comic adaptations of movies/shows. I guess steampunk would be more my thing, or strong and interesting character driven pieces set in a futuristic/dystopian world.

Loerwyn
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
If you can, I'd recommend trying to find some CrossGen titles.

A few of their series were linked, and they were a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. So you had Sojourn and Mystic on the fantasy side of things, Scion and some others on sci-fi. One was set in Atlantis, and I've completely forgotten the name of it.

The two collections are Forge and Edge, but I think you'd be very lucky to find them now, CrossGen sadly collapsed a few years back.

CrossGen on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossgen).

kater
June 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
As much as I like Star Wars and Firefly I'd rather steer clear of comic adaptations of movies/shows. I guess steampunk would be more my thing, or strong and interesting character driven pieces set in a futuristic/dystopian world.

Future/dystopia + steampunk = http://www.freakangels.com it is a weekly webcomic by top comics writer Warren Ellis, it is entirely free, very, very good though with mature content and it already has 100 updates so that's 600 pages of free comic to get you started :)

Other Warren Ellis is also recommended on the steampunk/sf front - Anna Mercury, Captain Swing, Doktor Sleepless and Supergod. He also does a very violent, savage Conan style fantasy book called Wolfskin. Plus probably my favourite comic book series of all time Transmetropolitan about a cranky writer of the future that combines just about every genre under the sun, ten volumes long mind you though.

SF wise Fear Agent is a funny classical space adventure series in the mode of Buck Rogers, albeit a rude, drunk Buck Rogers. Resurrection is a post-invasion, what-happens-when-the-aliens-leave story that is quite good but the art is take it or leave it depending on taste. Y-The Last Man by Brian K Vaughn is a very good what-if, the what-if in question being what happened if every man in the world bar one suddenly dropped dead, again complete series but also ten volumes long I think. If you like your sf mixed with politics and alt history then Vaughn also writes the fantastic Ex-Machina about a man gifted with the ability to talk to machines who decides to run for mayor after saving one of the twin towers on 9/11.

Philip K Dick's Electric Ant is in the process of being adapted and is quite enjoyable, likewise the adaptation of Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep is solid if you like your sf out there.

I'd be remiss in not mentioning Fables as just about the best fantasy series out there right now, all the classic fairy tales and characters reimagined as real and existing in our world on the run from a big baddie in their homelands. Nowhere near as corny as it sounds and just the most amazing series in terms of being consistently enjoyable. Likewise Wasteland, a black and white book, part fantasy, part sf, about the world after 'the Fall' where the buildings and machines of our time are myth and the savage new world born of ours dying is populated with strange creatures and confused histories.

I could go on at excessive length, if I haven't already, this is only the tip of the iceberg and hopefully something will work for you.

emma.waverley
June 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Future/dystopia + steampunk = http://www.freakangels.com it is a weekly webcomic by top comics writer Warren Ellis, it is entirely free, very, very good though with mature content and it already has 100 updates so that's 600 pages of free comic to get you started :)

Other Warren Ellis is also recommended on the steampunk/sf front - Anna Mercury, Captain Swing, Doktor Sleepless and Supergod. He also does a very violent, savage Conan style fantasy book called Wolfskin. Plus probably my favourite comic book series of all time Transmetropolitan about a cranky writer of the future that combines just about every genre under the sun, ten volumes long mind you though.

SF wise Fear Agent is a funny classical space adventure series in the mode of Buck Rogers, albeit a rude, drunk Buck Rogers. Resurrection is a post-invasion, what-happens-when-the-aliens-leave story that is quite good but the art is take it or leave it depending on taste. Y-The Last Man by Brian K Vaughn is a very good what-if, the what-if in question being what happened if every man in the world bar one suddenly dropped dead, again complete series but also ten volumes long I think. If you like your sf mixed with politics and alt history then Vaughn also writes the fantastic Ex-Machina about a man gifted with the ability to talk to machines who decides to run for mayor after saving one of the twin towers on 9/11.

Philip K Dick's Electric Ant is in the process of being adapted and is quite enjoyable, likewise the adaptation of Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep is solid if you like your sf out there.

I'd be remiss in not mentioning Fables as just about the best fantasy series out there right now, all the classic fairy tales and characters reimagined as real and existing in our world on the run from a big baddie in their homelands. Nowhere near as corny as it sounds and just the most amazing series in terms of being consistently enjoyable. Likewise Wasteland, a black and white book, part fantasy, part sf, about the world after 'the Fall' where the buildings and machines of our time are myth and the savage new world born of ours dying is populated with strange creatures and confused histories.

I could go on at excessive length, if I haven't already, this is only the tip of the iceberg and hopefully something will work for you.

Thanks for making it so detailed!! All of those seem great but I think I'll start with transmetropolitan and fables. Thanks again.

kater
June 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
No problems and don't forget freakangels, if nothing else it is free and you can sit at your computer and read it until your eyes go square :D Plus it's very funny at times.

Muess
June 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
To answer your original question as well, yes Sandman lives up to the hype, it's one of the greatest comic series by one of the greatest comic writers of all time. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

There are also some really good fantasy comic adaptions out there. The adaption of George RR Martin's The Hedge Knight is excellent as is David Wenzel's adaption of The Hobbit.

Edit: You should also check out Jeff Smith's excellent Bone series which has been released in a super 1300 page single volume epic!

Quagmire
June 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
I really enjoyed the Sandman when I first read them. I can't seem to get into it though when I tried to do a reread recently.

treasurehunter
March 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
hey guys, i'm wondering if anyone here knows the name of a comic book series i remember reading in the 1990s when i was a teenager, it had amazing painted artwork, and had characters who rode dragons through narrow ravines and every so often rocks would crash down, was quite graphic with the artist not holding back on blood in battle scenes and also the occasional breast might be shown by some of the female characters. I hope this is helping trigger memories lol i really just cant think of the name.

Here are some more vague memories from the series:

once the characters went to an island and there was a giant spider and web there

the characters were often involved in battles while riding dragons through narrow ravines

they sometimes went to an underground base hidden by a circle of waterfalls

in one story the was a human powered submarine and they attacked a large castle by the side of a lake

in another story the characters were in an underground complex with large stone disks that were held in place by round pieces of wood, there were hammers propped next to them to knock the pieces of wood out from under the stone disks, in this story the whole underground complex ended up getting flooded, but they managed to escape via a secret passageway

hope this rings a bell for someone!

Really looking forward to seeing these again, and also wondering if any new stories have been made since i stopped reading them