PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

NickeeCoco
June 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Is anyone else following the progress of Bioware's Star Wars MMO? I absoloutely loved KOTOR (I actually just finished a replay of it, and even at seven years old, the game is still awesome.), so I was very excited when I first heard about this.

I've been following TOR for a while now, and even applied to be a game tester for it (here's hopin'). Just thought I'd share the latest trailer. It looks absoloutely amazing.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer

Thoughts? Personally, I think this game is going to blow all other MMOs out of the water. It's going to change the face of the genre, and I think other giants, such as WoW, will really have to change to keep up.

Erfael
June 22nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
No. I gave up on MMOs for the last time about 8 months ago. In the last 15 years or so since the genre started emerging the "evolution" of the genre has managed to take something I found very interesting (a shared world in which anyone can have a lasting effect - a la UO-type gameplayin which the world is set up to facilitate storytelling) to something I find extremely dull (arcade-style moments of gameplay with a canned experience that everyone plays through in the exact same way before it pretty much resets to baseline, one in which players have no effect at all on the world around them).

NickeeCoco
June 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
(arcade-style moments of gameplay with a canned experience that everyone plays through in the exact same way before it pretty much resets to baseline, one in which players have no effect at all on the world around them).

I have to agree with you on that one, that is a drawback, but I'm not going to discount this one, because it's Bioware, and they are heavy (and one of the best out there, imo) in the story department.

Loerwyn
June 24th, 2010, 07:26 AM
And it is supposed to have a heavier single-player focus than other MMOs.

I'm torn about whether I want to try it or not. I've had bad experiences with MMOs (including WoW, which I played for 2.5yrs) and so forth, and I'm skeptical to try it.

DurzoBlint
July 8th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I may give it a shot but I am on a mac at the moment so I may have to fork over some cash and buy the new 11" Alienware mini notebook computer.

I played WoW for far to long but when you combine BioWare and MMO it should be a powerful game.

Dwaggz you are dead on about the canned experience.

Glelas
July 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM
For some odd reason I am looking forward to TOR.

I still play the original Everquest, everything that followed never seemed to match up.

Loerwyn
July 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I may give it a shot but I am on a mac at the moment so I may have to fork over some cash and buy the new 11" Alienware mini notebook computer.
No room for a desktop?

I played WoW for far to long but when you combine BioWare and MMO it should be a powerful game.

Dwaggz you are dead on about the canned experience.
I'm still incredibly skeptical about TOR. Recent BioWare happenings have really dropped my faith, and whilst I know it's a different studio, I can't help but be worried that TOR will just be dull and boring. Will try it, of course.

DurzoBlint
July 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM
No room for a desktop. Korean apartments just don't have a lot of room. That is why I want the Alienware Mini Notebook (http://www.alienware.com/Landings/m11x.aspx). It's built for games and all in a nice small package.

What about BioWare's recent developments that have you skeptical?

Loerwyn
July 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Pretty much everything, Durzo. I know it's a bit silly as BioWare Austin (who are developing TOR) aren't the same studio where Mass Effect and Dragon Age are made (BioWare Edmonton, I think), but to cut a long story short, BioWare's latest products aren't that great and feel lifeless, their PR is nothing like it was and they're getting sloppy at patching. Awakening (Dragon Age's first expansion) came out in March, and it's still unpatched despite some very serious bugs.

ChillGuard
July 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I've been following TOR for a while now, and even applied to be a game tester for it (here's hopin'). Just thought I'd share the latest trailer. It looks absoloutely amazing

Same here I had my sign-up to be become beta tester last week and until now no sign of chances. Hoping on the next 6 phases of test the name was called. Iím just hoping that these new game made me off for 1-6 months for my WOW toon since I spent too much in buy wow gold (http://wowgoldpig.com), which I donít regret.