PDA

View Full Version : Can you judge this book by the cover?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Robot.Legion
June 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
This description is based on how it was said to me. Its a book my landlord read years ago and would like to read again, and since he helps me with movies I cant find, I'm giving him a hand...

Its a sci-fi book, we'll start with the cover... He described it as a bald guy sitting in a command chair aboard the bridge of a starship, looking over the duty stations, and out the window, viewing the length of the ship (he said the book described it as being a mile long).

As for the plot... It was based greatly on Ecological Warfare. The ship was supposed to be incredibly powerful, it was sort of like a legendary artifact. A few main players were scrabbling for control of the vessel to serve their own purposes, but essentially killed each other off.

The guy who ended up with the ship had it modified, so the control room could be operated entirely by one person (himself, of course).

In order to solve a hunger problem on earth, he used the ship to create an animal called meatfeast (meatbeast?) which was essentially a self replicating piece of meat. You could carve off however much meat you needed, and it would simply grow back.

He *thinks* the title may have been Eco _____ from Earth, but he didn't seem very confident about it.

I've googled until my eyes caught fire, so I figured I would throw in the towel and ask for help.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

James

P.S. w00t! First post!

Zeratul
June 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
I am 99.99 % sure it's George R.R. Martin's "Tuf Voyaging".

*edit* I found a picture of the original cover, now I am 100 % sure.

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/d/dd/Tufvoybaen1987.jpg

Hobbit
June 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'd agree with that, Zeratul. Quite hard to get hold of these days, isn't it?

mark

Robot.Legion
June 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
*Beverages all around*

That was it all right! He has bowed to me, and I, in turn, bow to you.

A search on google shopping shows that it's not terribly difficult to come by, but it certainly does carry a premium on the price. But it's of no matter, we've gone essentially paperless around here, and an eBook version was a quick find.

Thanks for the hand =)

Expendable
June 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
I was just thinking of this book in another thread. Good read.