View Full Version : Books for my son

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

marinebiogeek
June 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi,

I am trying to remember the titles of three books I loved as a kid in the 70's that I want to get for me son. Not much to go on but:

1) one was a large format hardbound book that was a series of stories in comic form about an alien planet and its history (rise and fall of civilizations etc...). I remember one story about a ruler building a huge wall (after many tries and finally getting a deep enough foundation) and another about a battle that involved these neat airships/planes that had crescent moon shaped wings and a very round main part like a cylinder on its end.

2) a book (softcover) that was madeup like a travel guide to a series fo planets that a cruise ship/space ship would stop at. Each had its won info about cultures and species. One in particular was a species that slept by hangining itself on pegs on the wall (I think they mentioned their genetials were internal)

3) the third was a simialr book focusing on different species on different planets around the galaxy. This one had illustrations by Michael Whelan.

Any help is greatly appreciated by me, and hopefully my son in a a few years...

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Hobbit
June 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Jonathan: the first sounds like The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire.

Beautifully drawn: originally in Look and Learn magazine, mainly drawn by Don Lawrence: now very hard/expensive to get hold of.

[Link to help: HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trigan_Empire).]

The second sounds like Barlow's Guide to Extraterrestrials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlowe's_Guide_to_Extraterrestrials). Alternatively its that set of large UK hardbacks (published by Octopus, I think.)

Mark

marinebiogeek
June 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hi Mark,

You hit it right on the head with the Trigan Empire. I am not sure of the guide was the one I (vaguely) remember, but I think it had that one as well growing up. I'll just have to track down a copy and see for sure.

Thanks!

-Jonathan