PDA

View Full Version : Book i read 10 years ago with a lot of space battles

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Flash_Gordon
July 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I cant for the life of me remember the name of this book and i hope you can help me out. I read this book about 10 years ago and i dont know the publishing date or the author even.

Story-wise humans have established new colonies in neighboring star systems due to faster-than-light drive and are then attacked without warning by an alien race (i believe, not 100% sure). Most of the story then takes place onboard starships and in battle with the alien enemy.

Its an atypical kind of book in that it doesn´t follow any specific characters or protagonist. Some characters would be introduced and then killed off a few pages later. The best way i can summarize the book is that its about a lot of space battles because that seems to be the most consistent element throughout.

What i remember most was the technology used and some of the space battles themselves. There is faster-than-light traveling but ships need to "jump" which takes time to power up (or it might have been theres only certain points in space to jump from). The main weaponry in ship to ship battles are nuclear missiles that travel at fractions of the speed of light (like 0.2c). For defense you have point-defense lazers which could also be fired upon ships where they punch a tiny hole though the entire hull (which resulted in explosions when they hit the reactor core). The alien race, later in the book, get whats called a monitor-class warship, a humongous starship that is however not unbeatable. I dont believe there were any shields on the ships.

I remember one particular battle where humans win due to new missiles with longer range than those of the alien race. But most of the battles the human fall back and are being overwhelmed. Near the end of the book the aliens discover a backdoor into the solar system and are about to invade.

Do any of you know what book im talking about? Also, if you do, please excuse any of the details i mentioned, my memory is a little hazy. I wonder if any more books were written in the series though and id love to read and find out how the story ends.

lolrus
July 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds a lot like David Weber style space battles. That's as much help as I can give right now.

Looking forward to the answer to this one, sounds like a good book.

suciul
July 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Sounds like In Death Ground/Shiva Option by D. Weber and S. White - set in their Starfire universe and telling the extermination war against the Bugs

Hobbit
July 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Agreed. Try On Basilisk Station by David Weber.

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n4695.jpg

If I remember right, the powering up on Weber's spaceships was meant to mimic the reloading of cannons in CS Forester's Napoleonic warships...

Mark

Flash_Gordon
July 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yes thats exactly it! In death ground by David Weber and Steve White. I remember the cover of the book.

The story does end in the 2nd book, The Shiva Option and im gonna try and get this book at the earliest opportunity. Thanks again lolrus and suciul.

suciul
July 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Yes thats exactly it! In death ground by David Weber and Steve White. I remember the cover of the book.

The story does end in the 2nd book, The Shiva Option and im gonna try and get this book at the earliest opportunity. Thanks again lolrus and suciul.

I've read all the books in the series (chronologically it is Crusade, IDG/TSO, Insurrection - all Weber/White and the newest one White/Meier Exodus which is sadly only half a story and have no idea if/when will be continued) and i've enjoyed them quite a lot. If you read e-books the Weber ones are available free (and legally) at the BaenCD site in various disks like the At All Costs one