PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify a book I read as a child from my spotty recollections!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RobotBil
July 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
There is a book I read as a teenager, in the mid '90s. I remember very little about it, but thought it was awesome at the time. I want to read it again to see if it really was awesome (a dangerous undertaking, I know).
Here's what I remember:
Post-apocalyptic setting. I think aliens rule the Earth at this point. Humans have been reduced to primitive conditions, and are not allowed any high technology, lest they rebel. The story centers around a hunter (bow hunter, maybe?).
I remember that sometime in the middle of the book he stumbles upon an old, pre-apocalypse US Army weapons cache of some kind.

So, that's it. If anyone can help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Cephalik
July 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Battlefield Earth is my guess. Good book, horrendously bad movie.

RobotBil
July 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe, but it looks like Battlefield Earth is about 1000 pages long, and I don't think I could have stomached that when I was 12.

clinton
July 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard maybe. It has all of the stuff you mention but tons more you didn't.

Michigan
July 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
well it definitely sounds like Battlefield Earth to me, remember anything else about it?

Jim diGriz
July 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm more inclined to think of John Christopher's Tripods trilogy.

Chuffalump
July 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Not likely to be the Tripods books.

That series was set in the UK and France etc (so no US weapons dump) and the main character wasn't a hunter but an underage boy. I remember the society being much more pastoral than that. Otherwise it's a good match. :confused:

Trouble with this plot is that it's been done so many times.:)

lolrus
July 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Long time since I read it, but could it be "Come hunt an Earthman" by Phillip E. High?