PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember post-apocalyptic short story's title/author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Fishbulb
July 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I read a short story during an english class at school some years ago, and I can't remember the story's title or its author. I can only really remember some of the story's aspects.

It involved a man living/surviving alone in a post-apocalyptic scenario, living in a city (I'm pretty sure it was a city) that was deserted, cold and covered in snow and ice (it may have been like a new ice age). At one point he was attacked by a polar bear/s, this event could've happened while he was trying to find some food (canned food), again I'm not sure. He may have also been keeping himself busy by writing (diaries).

There also seemed to have been a war in the past, possibly leading to this post-apocalyptic world. He also became more and more paranoid about a sound he could hear in the far-off distance, believing it to be the marching of an army, growing closer and closer to his location each day. But, in the end, it turned out to be the sound of a glacier moving.

I know this is all very vague but if anyone recognizes this and maybe knows it and can help me out then I would be very thankful.

I put my query up on "Yahoo answers", but as of now there's been no real answer: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100704190155AAlrJ6l

Jim diGriz
July 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
This is Arthur C. Clarke's 'The Forgotten Enemy'. I have it in the 'Of Time and Stars' anthology but it is also available, of course, in 'The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke' as that contains pretty much everything.

It was not a war that caused the climate change but the Earth passing through an insterstellar dust cloud, blocking out sunlight.

Fishbulb
July 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you so much, I've been trying to find out what it was for ages. Funny how some of what I remembered was wrong, like the army and war. But I was along the right line with diary thing, I had a memory of books, I just got it wrong thinking he wrote diaries rather than protecting the books. And I thought I would've remembered Arthur C. Clarke being the author.

Anyway, thanks again. :D