PDA

View Full Version : Help with Book Title/Author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Saolite
July 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, wasn't sure where else it would fit -- but back when I was in highschool ( which was only a few years ago ), there was a book that came out that I started reading, but never finished. I've tried to find this book several times, to no avail -- so I figured I'd see if anyone here could give it a shot.

Basically, the opening pages of the book depict a castle that is under siege -- however, invaders from another " world " or " dimension " are the ones sieging it, with modern-day weapons. These invaders are, for all intensive purposes, human, but simply called aliens do to not being native to Earth. I THINK that is how the book is in the beginning -- there have been a few living amongst people secretly for some time, preparing for the invasion and what not, but I can't recall anything else other than that.

I remember that the cover of this specific book ( which isn't very reliable, I know, I apologize ) had the picture of a man standing in a doorway, with his features hidden by a cloak, towards the ' back ' of the room, while closer to the readers perspective, there was a desk with what I believe is a flintlock pistol, next to one of the old-fashioned globes/atlases.

If anyone might know of a book like this, please let me know! I'd be very grateful.

Hitmouse
July 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
The Last Castle by Jack Vance?

Saolite
July 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
No, not that book. I think the book was published after 2004, though I can't be entirely sure about that.

suciul
July 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Can it be Time Spike by E. Flint and M. Kostmatka?

Saolite
July 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've actually read Time Spike -- good book. But no, that wasn't it either.

Spent hours searching through a few different book sources, and I still can't find it. It bums me out.

suciul
July 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've actually read Time Spike -- good book. But no, that wasn't it either.

Spent hours searching through a few different book sources, and I still can't find it. It bums me out.

the irony is that it sounds very familiar for me and I cannot place it either for now...