View Full Version : Book search - cant remember title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Vhully
July 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
greetings,

i am looking for the title of a book i read over ten years ago. the book was written by an author who is not well known. i believe the book was a runner up to a hugo or nebula award, not sure which.

the story took place in earths past, around the 1940's - one day europe lost contact with all of north and south america. when this was investigated the explorers found a new and alien environment with very poisonous and alien creatures. the protagonist was an individual who could not be physically injured easily. as the story unfolds its revealed that this is not "earth" but actually a database of all history that exists at the end of time as the universe is collapsing, this database was created by all sentient life forms and they are at war with artificial life forms (A.I.) - these AI have infected the history of earth (by infecting the database like a virus) and the protagonist has been given special abilities to deal with this threat.

I know its a pretty thin description but I have been scouring the internet for literally MONTHS trying to find this book. I figure someone out there has read or owns the book and can help me find the title / author.

thanks in advance!

-V

Vhully
July 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
can anyone remember this?

mylinar
July 19th, 2010, 08:00 AM
That sounds like 'Darwinia' by Robert Charles Wilson. Europe, Africa and Asia were dramatically changed. The underlying reasons for the strange happening are quite different from what you might imagine, no magic or such, just an interesting twist on things.

mylinar
July 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Its definitely Darwinia, I did not take time to read the entire post. You even referenced the unusual spin he put on it as per all of this taking place in sort of a 'Super Database'. I need to read first, write second.