PDA

View Full Version : What are your ambitions?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ashgan
July 2nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
is everybody's dream in this forum to write a book and get it published? or has anybody thought about other aspects of writing, for example movie-script writing? that could even be better than writing a book, i mean, movies are going crazy nowadays, aren't they? basically, they can put into pictures almost anything that our imagination conjures up. thanks to special effects and george lucas, of course. did anybody try sending a script manuscript to a movie studio? i know i would like to, but i'm still... developing, let's say and besides, i don't even know how to. perhaps there would be more success here than there is with the wretched book-publishing houses and evil editors, you know. or how about writing an idea for a computer game? there's so many excellent games out there, but personally, i think they're running out of ideas. people tend to concentrate more on books, but there's so much more to writing than novels, although i have to agree, they are the best form and the most non-restricting. but still, think about it and tell me, i really wanna know - has anybody done any work for the movie (or TV) industry in the way of writing, or tried to write for anything else except books?

MikeWrite
July 2nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
i've written a screenplay, but i am yet to send it off anywhere. i am told its even harder to get a script read by a studio than a book in a publishers. So, i'm just going to send my manuscript to an agents. i have put together a long list of the companies im going to send it to - lets just hope one of them takes some notice :)

I'm part way through a book as well. It will be my second completed novel, although i never really wanted to get my first published so much. I think the one i am writing now has an excellent plot and fairly unique style, sort of like j.d. salinger. Also, it isnt a fantasy novel, so appologies!

Holbrook
July 2nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
Well I want the 500,000 three book deal with all the trimmings, Dream studios buying the rights etc. Oh and 10% of sales on all the cute plastic toys.....

:D :D :D

Seriously I write because I enjoy it. I would love to go into a book store and just quietly watch some one I don't know buy my book....

If I don't, I will settle for someone upon reading it on a forum like this, saying, I liked that and enjoyed it....

I am to old to want the fame just settle for spending the rest of my life writing.......

Fame would be nice though, hopefully before I am 50..... that gives me three years.....:rolleyes:

Ciuva
July 2nd, 2002, 03:27 PM
Usually, when people asks me, I answer that I only write because I love to do it - put my ideas and thoughts on paper (Well, computer...), but that's not entirely true. I have always had this little dream of getting published and get on the Tolkien-level - at least seeing that people buy my books and like them. I don't know how realistic that is...

Also, I write a lot as what I call 'therapy writing'. It really helps getting out my frustrations and what I worry about. In fact, the novel I am writing now originally started as 'therapy writing', it was only meant to get rid of my frustrations (I had big trouble with a friend of mine). But most of them are only meant to be erased when they're finished, and not for other people to see. They are never any good either, except some of them.

I also write a lot because of a friend of mine, who always asks for help when she is going to write essays or short stories or anything for homework. Together we made a very good story once, about a murder and lots of blood and massacre and... well, you know.

I also make a lot of poetry, because I have written a couple of songs and so on. I've never thought of writing movie scripts, but it doesn't sound uninteresting, though. But I think I'll rather stick to my books...

MarcPhoenix
July 2nd, 2002, 03:51 PM
I have been interviewed lately by so many folks in the media: TV; newspapers; and on-line webzines. They all seemed to be very shocked at how quickly 'doors' have opened for me.

I thank my lucky stars each morning and know that though I'm at the beginning of this crazy roller-coaster ride it can stop one day. So I'm going to enjoy every minute of it and hopefully make a good career in the entertainment industry.

My ambitions earlier last year were to get a book publishing deal, a movie deal, a video game, and a comic book deal. I'm on cloud nine because my book, TASHAR, is published as of June 1st of this year and is available at all the on-line stores, my story is in the making to be a 3D animated movie, and last week my story got picked up by a comic book company to make it into a MANGA. Everything is happening so fast but I will telll you this, if I didn't get a BOOK deal I'm sure it would've taken longer to get noticed by a studio and a comic book publisher. I hope the video game deal comes along as well. Time will truly tell if any of these opportunities will really pan out but then again I have a book, the first issue of the comic book should be ready the first week of September, and I'm working on the script for the 3D animated movie. So, dreams do come true!

Marc Phoenix
www.authorsden.com/phoenix

I have plenty of stories I'd like published and seen in the movies! :-)

Bardos
July 2nd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Well, what can I say?...

I just write because I LOVE to.

milamber_reborn
July 3rd, 2002, 02:25 AM
I write because I enjoy it and I know that I have potential. Opposing forces like my family are annoying, bnut I'm gonna stick at it and hopefully get my manuscript prepared in the coming months. I am aiming to become a writer, though I know that realistically, the chances of success are slim.

One thing I just thought of is that I'd like to write for a computer game, like Feist. Him and his friends made up the world and then he used it to write his series and make games.

MarcPhoenix
July 3rd, 2002, 02:31 AM
As the old addage says, "You never know until you try!" I didn't know til' I tried! :-)

Marc Phoenix
www.authorsden.com/phoenix

Ashgan
July 4th, 2002, 02:53 PM
hmmm, i'm still not entirely sure about where i stand. i mean, i know that i love to write, i really enjoy that little run away from reality and putting my fantasies on paper. i adore the challenge of being able to tell a good story that's sleeping somewhere in my head. and, i think that writing a book is the greatest challenge and the highest point that a writer can get to, but if my life depended on me writing a book and getting it published... i don't know... it just looks so hard. too far away. maybe it would be more sensible to try and use the writing talent elsewhere... only i don't exactly know where.

Solaar
July 5th, 2002, 05:26 PM
As a kid, and easily thru to my late teens I simply wrote for my own entertainment and escapism - that and my mates use to love the stories I wrote about them!

Then, once I hit 18/19 I started getting articles published in magazines thruout the UK, and then I got three short stories published.

Now, I'm well into writing a book. It's about my 618th attempt, but this one is really rolling... so fingers crossed!!

Solaar
still enjoys it - which is most important!