PDA

View Full Version : seeking novel in which human male marries, impregnates alien female feline humanoid

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

wrytyr
July 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
in order to get her father to permit the marriage, the human agrees to allow his genes to be changed so that when he does impregnate her, the children will be 100% alien, 0% human

in the alien society, once married, a couple must choose whether to have children immediately, or four years later; seems the husband makes the decision; in the tale, the human does not really understand the impact of this decision

in this alien society, pregnant females make all the political decisions

after they're married, he gets a job as a dock worker; his fellow dock workers (who are these cat-like humanoids) laugh at him for wearing goggles in the cold wind, because for the same purpose they use small amoeba-like creature much like humans use contact lenses

can't remember why he's on this alien planet, maybe something to do with a trade or ambassadorial mission

the reason why these aliens give so much respect to their pregnant females is because delivery kills; the aliens evolved too quickly, specifically with regard to brain size and thus skull size; the evolution occurred so quickly that the delivery canal is not large enough to allow easy delivery, thus pregnancy is a death sentence; given that the expectant mothers are doomed, society believes that this makes them the best persons to entrust with all political decisions, since they won't be around to benefit, but their kids will

the final scene involves the human strapping his wife into a special chair that is designed to assist with delivery; he's come to understand that there's something bad about to happen, but thinks he can save her with this; instead, it puts his wife through the pain of delivery without anesthesia; she dies anyway, and he is left to raise "their" kids alone

in this society, the males do the nursing, so after his wife has passed, he awaits the arrival of the male wet nurse

Viti
August 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Strangers by Gardner Dozois? Seems very similar although some things you wrote I don't quite remember in that story.

wrytyr
August 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
thank you very much! I've been trying to recal the title for a long time ..

Roy Ryders
August 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Seems retardered specific for a rec thread. I mean, if you know that much about it, why not just write it yourself or why read it if you know the whole story, know what I mean?

hippokrene
August 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
He's not asking for a recommendation, he's asking for the title of a book he read.

That said, what an odd story. Babies can be genetically modified so they're 100% alien, but women can't have c-sections?