PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the name of a book.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kane.e
August 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
I read a sci-fi book when i was much younger and i do not remember the title or the author and i have searched endlessly for it but cannot find anything about it. I have a brief memory of the plot which i will share with you in an attempt to maybe find out the title as i would love to read it again and also to find out who the author is.

It has probably been ten years or more since i read it although i cannot be 100% sure, but it has been at the very least, 7 or 8 years.

From what i remember the central character is a male who lives in a wasteland outside a highly advanced city which is fortified, and he, unlike most people who live in the wasteland has fortified his dwelling with highly advanced technology that he has stolen from the occupants of this city.

The city has a large population, and upon birth, babies have a chip inserted in them which provides them with all of their knowledge, so that nobody needs to be educated because their knowledge is provided by the chip system.

I seem to recall the city was design as a series of concentric circles, where the closer u got to the center of the city, the more advanced knowledge was available to the occupants as well as the more they had available to them in terms of wealth and possessions.

I think the premise of the book was that the male character from the wasteland somehow breaks in to the city and either turns off everybody's knowledge chips, or turns off the chips of specific people.

I also seem to remember there being a part from the point of view of a young girl who lived in one of the higher class sections of the city.

That is all i remember, if anyone has anything they can tell me about this or knows the name of the book or the author, i would absolutely love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Chuffalump
August 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Were the chips inserted into the back of their necks? I vaguely remember a book, possibly YA, about a boy who get's his chip removed somehow and learns how to survive in the outside world.

kane.e
August 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
im not 100% certain but i was in the YA age when i read the book, so it is possible, although i did read a lot of books beyond my age.

from memory the books central premise was about the adult male trying to turn them off or remove them, and maybe to do with a young girl who lived in the city and had a chip. i dont remember a young boy or there being too much about dealing without the chip but like i said was a long time ago.

i was told about a YA author called scott westerfield who had books that had something like this in them, although the majority of what he has published was released far too late to have been the book im thinking of.

also, whoever moved my thread to the correct forum thank you. i only joined sffworld today and didn't see that particular forum.