PDA

View Full Version : future city, conspiracy, journalist, riots - circa late 80's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kingrobot
August 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi - first post here so here goes nothing. I hope you guys and gals can help.

I'm looking for a sci-fi novel I remember reading in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I seem to remember that it was darkly humorous but I might be wrong. What follows is a list of things that I remember about it.

a futuristic mega-city where the rich live in separate upper levels sealed off of protected from the underclasses by their private military security and hi-tech physical barriers, much like a gated community of today.

A journalist (or private investigator) who because of his job is allowed to visit the upper levels but lives in the subcity.

Civil unrest and rioting in the undercity due to food shortages and political tensions.

Some kind of political intrigue / conspiracy (a murder?) that needs to be kept secret from the masses to prevent social turmoil or revolution. Our protagonist finds out about the conspiracy so has to be eliminated. He has to find the evidence and expose the truth - it involves him breaking into the upper levels of the city.

I'm sure it features flying police vehicles with grabbing arms or insect like appendages - black and yellow wasp like craft?

I also seem to remember it being set in a futuristic Britain / London as opposed to New York or one of the more commonly used future cities but this may be a red herring!

Yeah - It sounds like a Blade Runner / Judge Dredd ripoff but I suppose many of those early cyberpunk-ish books were in the late 1980's. I've also ruled out 'Only Forward' by Michael Marshall Smith which seems to share a lot of the same ideas.

Thanks for looking! Hope you can help...

SCEtoAUX
August 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
The summary sounds a lot like Soylent Green except I can't imagine you would not mention the nature of the food Soylent Green if that was the book.

Jim diGriz
August 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Soylent Green was based on the book 'Make Room, Make Room!' by Harry Harrison. The denouement that Soylent Green was recycled people was purely an invention of the film, in the book it was Soy and Lentils (hence the name), so this may be what you're looking for.

kingrobot
August 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
The summary sounds a lot like Soylent Green except I can't imagine you would not mention the nature of the food Soylent Green if that was the book.

Yeah, when you break it down like that it does sound a lot like Soylent Green / Make Room! Make Room! but this book was written in the late 80's early 90's. It was quite cyberpunky...

Cheers for the replies!