PDA

View Full Version : 'All of Love'

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JunkMonkey
August 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
My dad has a vague memory of a short story he would love to track down. Something to do with aliens making contact and, due to some misunderstanding quickly leaving again. As they leave they make it plain they don't hold whatever happened against us as a species and sign off their parting message with the phrase "All of Love".

That's all he can remember. He's 76 and been reading SF since he was a teenager so there's a lot to choose from... Any suggestions?

Hobbit
August 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Well, James Blish had a book of poems called 'All of Love', so it might do to start with his short stories?

Mark

JunkMonkey
August 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Well, James Blish had a book of poems called 'All of Love', so it might do to start with his short stories?

Mark

I had found that but I can't see my dad reading poetry. I'll ask him though.
Thanks. Any suggestions as to how to look up where the poem would have been originally published, on the off chance it is in one of the piles of old SF mags I have around here?

Hobbit
August 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Might be worth trying here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?James_Blish

I was trying to think around the title a bit: if he's used the phrase, it might be somewhere else at around the same time, I thought.

Mark

JunkMonkey
August 25th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Found it! (I think). It's a 1953 story called Common Time and it was by James Blish. The plot of the story is not exactly as my dad remembers but the phrase is there and used as he described. And it's in a book I know I lent him within the last few years.

Hobbit
August 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Brilliant: pleased you found it, JM!

Mark