PDA

View Full Version : Plot - global warming led to middle east invading europe, alien lights in sky

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

PaddyPower
August 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Really need help remembering this book, annoyingly I can remember large details of the plot but no amount of googling has bought anything up...

Set in the near future, global warming has resulted in Middle Eastern states forming into a loose alliance and invading southern and eastern Europe as climate change is increasingly rendering most of their nations uninhabitable. Book opens with the fall of Kiev to Middle East coalition forces which is being defended by US led coalition of european armies. Russia has stayed out of the war and has grown extremely wealthy due to drilling for previously unaccessable oil in the now melted Siberian tundra. China has also stayed out of the war however there are references to chinese dying in their millions due to the climate change.

At the same time alien lights have begun appearing in the skys around earth. Some speculate they are the cause of the acceleration in climate change, all attempts at communication so far futile, still unknown what exactly they are.

Characters from the book I can remember include an F-14 pilot who is first to encounter and make contact with the aliens. A Ukrainian army commander leading the defence of Keiv for western coalition forces and A CIA operative of a nuclear powered robot that she controls from Viginia remotely (particularly remember a scene were the robot destroys about a dozen T-72 Russian tanks)

The book ends with the Russians coming to the rescue of the western coalition and launching a massive coventional airstrike against the advancing middle eastern forces. There's a truce and it's established that the lights in the sky are in fact and alien intelligence of some kind- can't remember anything more about the conclusion than that.

Please help!

lolrus
August 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Could well be "Cold Allies" by Patricia Anthony.

PaddyPower
August 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Cold Allies! Thank you lolrus!

Could remember an absurd amount of detail about the plot but not the title. Been years since I read this but it clearly made an impression on me.

A climate-change induced war over dwindling resources must have been pretty ahead of the curve for the 90's considering most World War 3 novels were still imagining a nuclear conflict between the US and Russia at this time.

lolrus
August 31st, 2010, 07:52 AM
Gonna have to dig out my copy and put it on my TBR pile. Definitely needs a re-read.