PDA

View Full Version : copyright cop/enforcer (in the future)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

toaster
August 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
A friend of mine gave me a vivid description of a sci fi novel he read, but couldn't remember the title/author.

-a future controlled by huge multinationals, where the only law is copyright law, the novel follows a cop/detective/enforcer who is in charge of keeping this law, and making sure that no one misuses a company's intellectual property.

that's all i know. Anyone heard of this?

Omphalos
August 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine gave me a vivid description of a sci fi novel he read, but couldn't remember the title/author.

-a future controlled by huge multinationals, where the only law is copyright law, the novel follows a cop/detective/enforcer who is in charge of keeping this law, and making sure that no one misuses a company's intellectual property.

that's all i know. Anyone heard of this?

The only story that I know of that uses copyright as the central focus is Melancholy Elephants by Spider Robinson. I wrote a blog article on that for a blog I run discussing the interplay of law and science fiction. Here's a link to the article. You can see if it's your story, but it doesn't sound like it. If you find a name, I'd love to get it so I can read it too, please.

http://thelawandsciencefiction.solahpmo.com/?p=50