PDA

View Full Version : Any help appreciated!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ahigherway
September 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if a sci-fi movie has ever been made that has the following theme:
peaceful, gentle advanced-life alien beings (like the meccas at the end of AI) who are encountered by mankind, but it is mankind who is the "bad guy," not the aliens.

Anything like this out there?

Thanks!
brian

Orbison
September 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Umm... I can only assume this is a joke.

ahigherway
September 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Umm... I can only assume this is a joke.

Hi Orbison,
no, I'm not joking at all. It seems to me that many Dr. Who episodes depicted aliens as more peaceful than mankind, but I'm looking for a movie with this specific plot.

Maybe someone else here has a thought?

Brian

Gkarlives
September 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
The Day the Earth Stood Still - The original black and white, not the new color film with Keanu Reeves.

Planet of the Apes - Again the original. Although you are not actually dealing with Aliens, it does take the human issue of man being the bad guys. The idea is similar in nature to AI where the humans treat the roobots badly, but they end up inheriting the earth.

You can proabably find this theme more readily in books than in movies and the books will usually handle it better.:D

Orbison
September 12th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hi Orbison,
no, I'm not joking at all. It seems to me that many Dr. Who episodes depicted aliens as more peaceful than mankind, but I'm looking for a movie with this specific plot.

Ah, well I'm sorry to make the assumption. It's just that the fairly obvious film here is the highest grossing film of all time - Avatar.

ahigherway
September 13th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Ok, thanks... I'll try looking into both the "Day the world stood still" and "Avatar."

As you may note, I don't follow cinema much..

What I was so intrigued by in AI was that the advanced "Mechas" were so thin, delicate, calm.. and yet they had much power!
THIS is what fascinates me most. Not muscle and guns, but strength that comes from "within" somewhere, and which is stronger than guns and might.

Thinking about this now, I am wondering if "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" made a "sequel," this might be applicable. The aliens were like children, so "weak," yet they were probably very powerful, and yet peaceful, not warlike. -Something man has yet to discover!

Any thoughts?

Brian