SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

vincelarkin
September 15th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hello,

If lost a scifi book... i know it sounds a bit weird, but about 15years ago i read a book that for some reason to this day lingers in my mind.

Now i want to read it again but i have no name... no character names, no writer, nothing. I only remember part of the story. It might be that the book wont be as good again if i read it now, but i need to find out.

I am hoping that someone will recognize the synopses i write down here... if they do please tell me or link me name of the book or author.

Synopses
-

The book is about a man who during the course of the first halfe of the book is beeing hunted by aliens, however the aliens are a sort of sybernetic "fake" humans that are beeing controlled by AI. He is helped in his adventures by a man who is part of a government organisation. When he gets cought and hurt they "rebuild him" he becomes partially robotic, and gets stronger then the fake AI humans. He also gets mental and mind conditioning so he can defend himself against torture etc.

He gets caught again and the second part of the book shows him without a mind of his own performing tasks on a distant world, without a body, his brain hooked up to a giant mech robot. The mental conditioning eventually kicks in and has the effect that he regains his mind. He starts his fight for freedom and in the end he manages to free other brains and they take over the planet. The end is that they will stay there to try and defend earth from afar, although they could use fake AI bodies to go back to earth for a semblance of a normal life.

----

I know the synopses is short and consufing, but this is all i remember and the fact that i liked the book imensely because of the way it was written.

,Vince

vincelarkin
September 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I just remembered 2 books that i read during the same time that i read the above one, i also dont recall much about that book besides the story, but mabey it will help.
--------------
Its about a guy who is unemployed and trying to get a job, the time frame is not defined, but i got the idea it was in the 60s or 70s. He has no house or place to live and tries to keep his stuff as clean as possible so he isnt rebounded because of looking like a fagrant.

After a conversation that doesnt go to well he has to ?run? anyway he ends up finding a ship of some aliens. The aliens are almost exactly like humans.

He stows away on the ship and is found by the crew after its to late bring him back. Because he is a "week" human they clean him in the ships medie bay/tank. He also broke most of the bones in his body during lift off, thats allso fixed. After this he goes around the galaxy on adventures and eventually has a crew and a ship.

At one point he has to save them from something stupid they did and the people he saves them from value a sacrifice. So they discuss about what to take, and they end up taking his left eye.

He ends up going to a party where he gets dressed up in some black setup that " goes well with his skin " witch always made me wonder, because the way it was written could mean he is either black or white but i always thought it implied he was black.

-------------------- perhaps that helps a bit..... i just recall another story, but i know even less about that.

I just know that its about a man that helps a alien that at the start of the story has lost his memory. It happens that the alien has lost his memory before, and it seems he is verry verry old. Every few decades? he falls into a coma/sleep and when he wakes his body is rejuvinated but his memories are gone again. *(eventually it seems that his race does this to stay "young" and normally a blue print is made from the mind before the aliens fall asleep and this blueprint is reprinted on the body when it reawakens.

The man helps the alien to get his memory back and get back to his world. As a reward he gets the aliens ship, and stuff aboard it as a reward. The man uses it to get imensely rich and uses his free time to become physically strong. (personal trainer or something)

After a while the government finds it fishy that all the new tech stuff comes along and traces him. To run away he takes the ship and goes to the planet the alien went to. There alot of things happen but eventually his body is nearly destroyed and he gets put in the "sleeping" body of the main antagonist, this is now his body..

EDIT: just recalled that the norse gods - are suposed to be the aliens, and i think thor is the one that is left on earth or something.

vincelarkin
September 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I forgot but, if you know either of the 2 other books id love to know the names/titles/authors :) i wouldnt mind reading those again either :)

lolrus
September 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
First one sounds a bit like "Plague of Demons" by Keith Laumer, a bit I emphasize.

Second one strangely has a resonance to a Keith Laumer book, "Galactic Odyssey" but I don't think it is that one.

vincelarkin
September 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
hehe yah the book sound familiar with the falling asleap in a silo, however the name for some reason doesnt sound as familiar and i think i would have remembered that. It does sound fun, maybe il try and get my grubby hands on it :P

the second one defenetly isnt the right one.

Thanks for the reply tho :- i gues its a bit fague :/ i dont even recall anything about the names of the characters :(

PeteMC
September 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
The first one makes me want to say "The Reconstructed Man" but I've no idea who the author was or even if that's the right title, sorry.

vincelarkin
September 27th, 2010, 09:19 AM
its not that one either :/

I do remember a bit more tho, been thinking about it for a while now and that helps.

If i recall the one about the brain in robots has as main antagonists the aliens as brain stealing baddies. They steal brains from humans and put them in big robot machines as controll "processor" and use these machines to mine planets for resources.

Dont know if that helps

ivanj
September 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
From everything you've said I'm almost sure the first book is 'Plague of Demons' by Keith Laumer.

vincelarkin
September 29th, 2010, 04:31 AM
YES YES YES YES!!! invaj your great! thats it,

http://www.webscription.net/p-319-a-plague-of-demons.aspx

for all who wonder about the book, thats it. (the first story synopses, it doesnt say alot of the same things i say up in the thread, but the thing about invisible wolf like aliens rings a bell:))

I never thought id get to read it again, but il order it somewhere tonight :D
You wouldnt happen to know the other books i asked about in this thread? :)

anyway <bow> thank you, you just made my day.

lolrus
September 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Like I said 10 days ago. (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=597774&postcount=4)