PDA

View Full Version : Are bad Syfy movies science fiction?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

cormaniac
September 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I saw the trailer for the new Syfy film "Sharktopus" and that new "Piranha 3D" is hitting the theaters...I have to wonder, do you guys consider these "creature features" to be real science fiction? I mean, is it less sci fi than Roger Corman's old monster movies, which are just as bad but have the nostalgia factor (e.g. Attack of the Monster Crabs)? Is it less sci fi than "Jurassic Park?" I mean, Jurassic Park is essentially the same kind of story, with the same pseudo-science, but less crappy.

So what do you think? Are monster movies science fiction and does your definition relate to the amount of science in it, the quality of the film, or the time period in which it was released?

Chuffalump
September 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm, I would say that if the creature(s) are genetically modified or mutated by radiation etc then it's SF. Maybe trashy SF but SF nonetheless. However, if the creature(s) are merely recently discovered or have their behaviour modified by pollution then maybe not??

Tricky and possibly subjective.:D

Loerwyn
September 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'd define sci-fi as more to do with whether it has science or not. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think as long as it's explained, whether it has a scientific grounding or not, then it's sci-fi.

I wouldn't consider Deep Blue Sea sci-fi, though. How odd :)

ebusinesstutor
September 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Lets put it in the horror category since I hate horror!

Then I can pretend it doesn't exist.

Starhawk
October 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
can it be considered 'good' science fiction? IMHO - no. It is not even in the same league as classics like "Forbidden Planet", "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (Michael Rennie version the updated version was a joke), or any of a slew of other good to great sci fi flicks from over the years. Even the rare "The 27th Day" is leaps and bounds above this cheese.

BTW - If you have never heard of "The 27th Day" you should check it out. Pretty good flick for the time.

Cheers.

Starhawk

The Lord of all Things Inane
October 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Man, that SyFy stuff is the illegitimate offspring of bad fantasy, bad sci fi, and a healthy dose of "what the heck?" It is kind of a bummer.

DurzoBlint
November 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I watched Sharktopus, great movie to eat popcorn and crack as many jokes as possible at what you see on the screen. Would have been perfect for Mystery Science Theater 3000 had it still been on the air. Of course, all of SyFy's latest movies could work for the MST3K.

The Lord of all Things Inane
November 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I watched Sharktopus, great movie to eat popcorn and crack as many jokes as possible at what you see on the screen. Would have been perfect for Mystery Science Theater 3000 had it still been on the air. Of course, all of SyFy's latest movies could work for the MST3K.

THAT would be worth watching!
CDN