PDA

View Full Version : I remember the story, not the title... or author...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mark Lawrence
September 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm sure this kind of post crops up regularly. I hope somebody will recognise the scraps of this story I can recall and point me at the author/book.

It's definitely science fiction.

The main character gets taken over by some kind of parasite/controlling life-form. Completely taken over, all he can do is watch - I seem to recall it grows something out of his eye also.

The 'gods of axon/neuron' are mentioned a lot.

One of the modes the parasite uses cause several victims to move together (the pain increases with separation) so it can then use their combined bio-mass to build one of its life forms.

There are quite a few scenes in space-ships...

That's it!

Help!

Mark

Sfinx
September 21st, 2010, 11:09 AM
It does somewhat resemble the socalled 'Primes' from Pandora's Star (Peter F. Hamilton); where "immotiles breed and control vast armies of sub-sentient 'motiles' via electronically extended neural interfaces".

Cheers,

Sfinx.

KatG
September 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Is it this one?

Christopher Rowley's books Starhammer, The Vang: The Military Form, and The Vang: The Battlemaster. In these, the Vang refer to themselves as "The Gods of Axon and Neuron".

Mark Lawrence
September 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Is it this one?

Christopher Rowley's books Starhammer, The Vang: The Military Form, and The Vang: The Battlemaster. In these, the Vang refer to themselves as "The Gods of Axon and Neuron".

Excellent! That sounds like it. I remember the term 'military form' now you mention it.

I'll go look him up.

Many thanks,
Mark

joebee
October 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi, first post here!

Hope you don't mind my adding my own request for identification of a SF short story. The plot has vague similarities to original post, but is definitely a different story. It has been bugging me for quite awhile that I can't remember the title or author.

Here's what I remember of the story: A married couple, who are anthropologists, go to another planet and study a religion there which worships something like a blob that lives in a cave. At some point in this religion, a devotee becomes a sort of a monk, and puts a little of the blob on his head, and as it grows there, he slowly merges into the collective consciousness of the blob. The husband eventually decides to join them. Does that sound familiar at all?

Thanks for any help identifying this story, and apologies for veering off track from original post!

joebee

Mostlyharmless
November 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Could the second story be “A Song for Lya” by George R. R. Martin?

joebee
December 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, that's it! I found a copy yesterday at my local library in a collection by George R. R. Martin titled "A Song for Lya". It includes nine short stories plus the longer title story, which I see won the Hugo for novella in 1974. I also found the same book available as a Kindle download at Amazon for only $2, so will probably get it there.

Thank you so much for the help!! :)

joebee

(edit)--I bought the $2 Kindle edition at Amazon, but it was only the novelette; none of the short stories were included. Amazon did refund my money and deleted the book from my Kindle library, so no harm done. Still, I wish they would clearly indicate it is a different version before buying.