PDA

View Full Version : 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Part of a Plan?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RonPrice
October 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
In the first week of April 1968 the film 2001: A Space Odyssey was released into cinemas in North America. I was 23 and living on Baffin Island at the time, teaching Inuit kids and travelling-pioneering for the Canadian Baha’i community. I did not see the film until years later. Last night on an Australian TV channel this same film was on again.(1) This time I was 66, retired and living in Tasmania. I said to myself, after watching the first several scenes, I will give this film the attention it deserves, not by staying up to 3 a.m. to watch the end, but by reading about its content, absorbing some of the reviews and writing this short prose-poem.-Ron Price with thanks to (1)GO! TV, 10 October 2010, 12:00-3:00 a.m.

Where does one begin with a film
like this one?…….Perhaps in 1937
with Arthur C. Clarke’s first stories
in fanzines as far back as 1937 at the
beginning of the Plan;1…..or in 1953
with Childhood’s End.…the start of
the Kingdom of God on Earth;2 or in
his essays,1962-Profiles of the Future3
beginning when my life was starting
out on its lengthy pioneering journey
which has still not ended—yet----!*?.

You were one of the Big Three, Arthur4
and when you combined with Stanley--
the fertility gave us all 2001 and its story
of evolution: what a delight Arthur! May
you now be enjoying further delights in
that Land of Light far beyond our world
of time and space which you explored so
well during these epochs of my life--Plan.5

1 Clarke had a few stories published in fanzines, a blend of fan and magazine publication produced by fans of a particular cultural phenomenon, between 1937 and 1945, his first professional sales appeared in Astounding Science Fiction in 1946. The Plan, referred to here, was the Baha’i plan: 1937-1944.
2 In 1953 Clarke published: (i) Childhood’s End in which he explored the evolution of an intelligent species who would eventually become like gods and (ii) Expedition to Earth. One view held by Baha’is is that 1953 saw the beginning of the kingdom of God on earth coinciding as it did with the completion of the Baha’i temple in Chicago that same year.
3 Clarke published this collection of essays and Tales of Ten Worlds, both in 1962, and I moved from Burlington to Dundas Ontario in the first of a series of homefront and international pioneering moves in the global Baha’i community.
4 Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein: the Big Three of Sci-Fi in the last half of the 20th century.
5 For Clarke’s and Kubrick’s views of religion see Wikipedia. For the views of my life in The Plan see my memoir: Pioneering Over Four Epochs.

Ron Price
10 October 2010:cool: