PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else not like Kushiel's Dart?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2]

ChrisW
September 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

Umm silly question.

IMO you were going on about it, and that it was a major part of the books which IMO it isn't. I have a right to voice my opinion just as you did without you saying that i'm against you having an opinion. Ofcourse you may disagree with me but heh thats just your opinion:D.

So yeah silly question.

Rob B
September 30th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Phedra was basically a sexual servant/prostitute who did enjoy and was used for S&M. So while it may not be graphically described, it is an important part of the story and Phedra herself. Moreso, pain and endurance, I'd say are overriding themes in the book, and S&M is an illustration of pain and endurance.

Miriamele
September 30th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Umm silly question. IMO you were going on about it, and that it was a major part of the books which IMO it isn't. I have a right to voice my opinion just as you did without you saying that i'm against you having an opinion. Ofcourse you may disagree with me but heh thats just your opinion

Duh, it was a rhetorical question. :rolleyes: :D :D

Hey, I only meant that everyone will have a different opinion about a book like Kushiel's Dart, and no one is necessarily right or wrong. It's just a matter of taste. I just seem to have different tastes than you, which is fine, I respect your opinions and also I realize that there are some redeeming qualities in the book.

But I still don't like it very much.

Okay, I've said enough in this thread, I'm starting to repeat myself. :rolleyes:

ChrisW
September 30th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Phedra was basically a sexual servant/prostitute who did enjoy and was used for S&M.

Wrong. Phedra is Kushiels Chosen. She was born to enjoy it and use it in service to Kushiel. She was used as a spy/weapon not a prostitute or sexual servant. The fact you used those terms shows that you did not accept/understand the religion that is in the books. Which if you couldn't/didn't then that would be a good reason for not liking the books.

I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

Rob B
October 1st, 2002, 09:38 AM
I know she was Kushiel's Chosen, but part of that role is the whole sex/S&M thing as part of her religious stature. My interpretation is that she was chosen to be a high class prostitute and a spy, and by saying that I don't mean that she is to be looked down upon, it is just how I saw the facts. She had many roles, all related. I know that is a trivilization of how well Carey handles the situation.
The fact you used those terms shows that you did not accept/understand the religion that is in the books. I understood the relgion/Chosen one, I simply chose the wrong words.

I've said before, I really did like about the first half of the book, I was compelled and interested and genuinely cared about her. The sex DIDN'T bother me at all, I thought it was handled well. When Jocelin (Sp?) became more of a prominent character is when I began to lose interest. I did not like his character.

ChrisW
October 1st, 2002, 10:20 AM
Yeah he was kinda annoying for most of the book but he got a lot more likable towards the end of the book. Heh it's not easy when your sworn not having sex and then teamed up with the hottest babe in the country:D.