PDA

View Full Version : 2 robot-based short stories, possibly from the same book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JMonkeYJ
October 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
these are 2 short stories i remember reading many years ago. i think they were in the same book, and if so, i'd love to know the book, but certainly the story titles would be great.

the first one was about a robot on a satellite/space station circling earth. the details are fuzzy but basically there was a war on earth and all the humans went back down to earth. the robot sees explosions on earth and eventually deactivates himself until someone comes back. i think something impacts the space station which causes him to reactivate and he realizes he was inactive for a very long time. he goes back down to earth and humanity is either totally or pretty much wiped out. i don't really remember the ending.

the second one is a pretty generic concept, but hopefully i remember enough details. it's about a boy who lives in a domed city. there are lots of other people there. he's always having to go to the doctor and get shots and stuff. obviously he wonders what's outside the dome and they have some excuse for why he can't leave. i think he eventually notices a stream coming in from outside that's clean and that's when he starts to figure stuff out, but i could be confusing that with another story. anyway, eventually he discovers all the other "people" are robots put there just to take care of him so aliens can study him.

any insight would be awesome! thanks.

B5B7
October 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Could the first story you are looking for be "To Avenge Man" by Lester del Rey?

JMonkeYJ
October 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
that looks like a distinct possibility. i also see that that story was included in an anthology edited by Isaac Asimov, and i had some recollection of the story being related to Asimov in some way.

i ordered the book thru LINK+ and i'll let you know if that's the one i remember. either way, i'm sure it'll be a good read.

thanks for the tip :)

JMonkeYJ
October 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
just wanted to post a followup.

you were, indeed, correct B5B7. the first story is "To Avenge Man." The second story is "The Other Side" by Walter Kubilius. they are collected in "Those Amazing Electronic Thinking Machines!" (what a cheesy title :P) edited by Isaac Asimov et al.

thanks so much!

GoldMine
April 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Talking of robot stories, I remember - vaguely - reading one in a collection of stories about robots. A detective realises something is very wrong with his world and gradually comes to understand that people are being secretly replaced with robots. The tell-tale is that none of the robots can have children, so there are no kids in the families which have been switched.

At the end of the story, he is confronted by some of the robots just as he's about to reveal the secret to the world and they pityingly tell him that he can't because...he's a robot, too.

His final act is to betray his own kind and throw himself out of the window, hoping that the real people will see his shattered body and realise he isn't human. He has been programmed too well...so well, that his loyalty is to the humans and not his own kind.

It was a great anthology, with some great stories, but that one stands out in my memory. I'd love to know the title and author, if anyone can supply it.

Thanks!