View Full Version : Wine.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Gamlemshagen
July 18th, 2002, 11:14 AM
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/mythology/myths/text/mead_of_poetry.htm

wastra
July 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Wine commonly consumed was likely not very fermented as well- meaning it had a very low alcohol content. Simply put, most areas with taverns (which were actually very uncommon in early medeval towns) didn't have the luxury of aging wine, and yeasts used to ferment were fickle, and had to be stored properly, which was often difficult, and thus often simply sold lightly fermented grape juice mixed with water. You could get drunk on it, but it took an awful lot.

Beer has been made ofr thousands of years. meade was an alcoholic drink common to northern europe and even ancient Egypt. Essentally, meade is made from fermented honey, where ber is fermented hops. In areas where barley/wheat/hops wouldn't grow very well (for climate reasons) meade oftne was the drink of choice.

I've made meade once before. It's very very sweet, and high in alcohol content. It's really not a good drink at all. stick with beer.

Barbarossa
July 18th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Beer is not fermented hops, but fermented malt, hops is added for tzaste and to conserve it.

Llama
July 18th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Don't you guys know anything?

The wine in fantasy novels is 80% cabernet sauvignon and 15% sangiovese, with an additional 5% of merlot to add backbone. It has aromas of berries, fresh herbs and pepper and is medium-bodied on the palate, with fine, silky tannins and a fruity, firm, tannic finish. It benefits from mid-term cellaring.

I trust that's clear now.

wastra
July 18th, 2002, 02:08 PM
It's the natural sugers that actually ferment with yeast.

These sugars are found in nearly any wheat-like plant- wheat, barley (which is Where the malt comes from), rice, hops, etc. You are correct, though- the malted barley (more precisely Malt Extract) is the #1 ingredient in the beer-making process aside from water. Hops are primarily for flavor and bitterness, but sugar is what actually ferments it.

Hence, when you brew your own beer, the amount of alcohol (product of fermentation) is a direct result of the sugar (natural malt extract or formulated white sugar) you add to the wort.

Cadfael
July 18th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Is it not meade, and the honey therein the origin of the word 'honeymoon'?

It has just got me thinking?

Killer Chicken
July 18th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Since you all seem to know a lot about alcoholic beverages, I was wondering how a winecooler is different than wine. I know it tastes different, but I don't know why they call it a winecooler, unless it is related to wine somehow. Since I'm 15 I don't have much experience with alcohol but I do happen to like winecoolers. Not beer though, never tried it, always just smelt funny to me.

wastra
July 18th, 2002, 05:48 PM
I'm an amateur homebrewer, not an expert.

Wince Coolers are fufu drinks. They're usually wine-based (fermented grape juice and suger) mixed wth carbonated water. they are very low alcohol content (higher than beer in may instnaces, much lower than wine).

generally, they're marketted to women, though there's no reason (other than pride) that men couldn't drink it also.

They are very sweet- and can lead to some of the worst hangovers and upset stomachs out there because of their suger content.

But, since you're 15, assuming you live in the US, don't drink alcohol for 6 years ;);)

Killer Chicken
July 18th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Wastra. And I plan to follow your advice, because I really don't think highly of people who get caught drinking and it gives you a bad reputation in the neighborhood, when you live near a small town like me. And my girlfriend of two years would kill me if I did anything like that. If only she knew...;)

wastra
July 18th, 2002, 06:28 PM
yeah...because I NEVER (cough cough) would have had alcohol (cough cough) when I was under 21 (cough cough). Ahem.