PDA

View Full Version : Flying snake spits acid

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JRMountain
October 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I remember this book from my childhood. It starts out I think with a male child in a rain forest type jungle not remembering how he got there. A flying snake type reptile connects with him and tries to protect him. This reptile spits acid when provoked. The child has psionic type gifts but does not have any control with them. They will activate if his life is in danger. I also remember that he eventually ends up on a planet where the inhabitants though simple looking and acting are quite intelligent. They end up building him a spaceship on the planet's surface instead of out in space because it is simpler that way, solving any issues as a result. This may have been a series. I may have combined a few books in the series I just can't recall. Your help is much appreciated.

JR

Jim diGriz
October 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx novels, beginning with The Tar-Aiym Krang (although chronologically the later written For Love of Mother-Not comes first). The race that build him the ship first appear in the second novel, Orphan Star.

Sparrow
October 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx novels, beginning with The Tar-Aiym Krang (although chronologically the later written For Love of Mother-Not comes first). The race that build him the ship first appear in the second novel, Orphan Star.

I'd like to know if the Pip & Flinx books are any good.
I've lost count how many times one of those novels has been on my short list of "books to read", only to get nudged off at the last moment.

Jim diGriz
October 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I have great affection for the original trilogy of The Tar-Aiym Krang, Orphan Star and The End of the Matter having first read them as a teenager many years ago. In recent years Foster has churned out the sequels at pace culminating with Flinx Transcendent and while it is nice to have a sense of closure with the storyline I find the quality of these newer additions to be lacking.

marshal atkins
October 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
I have great affection for the original trilogy of The Tar-Aiym Krang, Orphan Star and The End of the Matter having first read them as a teenager many years ago. In recent years Foster has churned out the sequels at pace culminating with Flinx Transcendent and while it is nice to have a sense of closure with the storyline I find the quality of these newer additions to be lacking.

That's a very good summary. I stuck it out to the end and frankly... was glad it was done. Foster milked the story arc for all it was worth.

A later episode which I did enjoy was the return to Midworld.

mylinar
October 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
That's a very good summary. I stuck it out to the end and frankly... was glad it was done. Foster milked the story arc for all it was worth.

A later episode which I did enjoy was the return to Midworld.

Ah ha. So the series does end. I think I have skipped the last few books with perhaps 'Sliding Scales' being the last one I read. So it is definitely concluded with the universe saved et. al.?

JRMountain
October 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I thank you (Stainles Steele Rat), your reputation is well deserved. I tried researching this answer for myself off and on for over a year without any luck. I find this site and less then a day, have the answer I needed. Thank you once again.

JR