PDA

View Full Version : 70's sci fi

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

drbombay
October 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to track down a book about an underground reptilian society that is far advanced but isolated from "us" on the surface. I remember the paperback had a green cover with a green "man" looking up at you. I think the name was "The Icon" or "The Idol". I appreciate any leads - even just someone telling me that they know what I mean but can't remember either. (At least I'll know I'm not crazy.)
Thanks!

Chuffalump
October 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a Dr Who episode. The most recent series had underground reptilians but there was an indication that the Doctor had met a similar species before (presumably during one of the old series).

Maybe it was one of these books?

Jim diGriz
October 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
As with Chuffalump, my first thought was of an old Doctor Who novelization: Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters by Malcolm Hulke which I vividly remember reading as a schoolboy back in the mid 70s.

drbombay
October 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks both - It didn't sound familiar, so I checked out your suggestions. I'm afraid that wasn't it. This began with ... one or two young guys who find an underwater cave ... some kind of green statue, or jewel, which leads them to travel with this friendly "alien." The alien civilization was technically far advanced.

Randy M.
October 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
I doubt this is it, but my first thought was an 1980s movie and novelization, The Last Starfighter.

Randy M.