View Full Version : Last (Non-Film) DVD/Blu-Ray You Watched

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Loerwyn
October 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
We've got one for films and one for shows you like, but not one for non-film releases, such as documentaries and TV box sets :p

I watched all of Metalocalypse (Season 1) yesterday. I think I've been spoiled by later seasons because it wasn't amazing, but still good. Toki and Skwissgar sounded "wrong", but they did improve over the course of the season. The animation also seemed to drastically improve on disc two!

Best quote (that I can remember):
"We got the blackest present for the most brutal bassist...

Nooooooottttttthhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggggggggg"

Chuffalump
October 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hmmm, Amazon were doing a good deal on the Firefly box set. Never saw the show when it was on tv but I've watched the complete series over the last couple of weeks. Really enjoyed it. I've heard people say that it was better for the show to be cancelled before it got old, than go on for years and lose it's way.........but I don't think another series or so would have gone amiss.

Loerwyn
October 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Just finished watching Metalocalypse (Season 2).

About the same level as the first season in terms of musical variety and humour, but the video and audio quality really jumped up between releases. The animation's better, the dialogue is (slightly) clearer, it's just a good number of changes. It's also the season where Malcolm McDowell really comes into it, but I do have some complaints.

Whilst he's a good voice actor, Malcolm is very easy to identify. He voices one of the Tribunal, a news reporter and a few other characters, and you can almost always (if not always) tell it's him, especially if you've played Fallout 3 (The voices are very similar to President Eden). Oh, and the extras on the DVD are a pig to find.

DurzoBlint
October 29th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Finished season one of Smallville few days ago, now watching season one of Sons of Anarchy. Good stuff.

Evil Agent
October 29th, 2010, 03:40 AM
BBC Life and BBC Planet Earth. Two of the best nature documentaries ever made. Simply amazing.

Also, I've been buying a lot of music DVD's these days. Most recently, Radiohead (live bootleg, in Japan, 2008) and King Crimson (live in 1982 & 1984).

DurzoBlint
November 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Been watching seasons 1 & 2 of Sons of Anarchy at home and Venture Bros. Seasons 1-3 at work.

Ramirez
November 17th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I've been watching a lot of the first season of SNL. Most of it is really superb, with great musical guests and amazing content compared to SNL of recent. And also John Belushi!

For documentaries, I recently watched End Of The Road, a documentary about The Grateful Dead's last tour in 1995. The entire film was about the deadheads they talked to in the parking lots of the shows. I found it really enlightening, since I'm a huge fan of the band and a lot of my friends could be considered 'hippies' and in general I've been around plenty of that scene. I saw The Dead (Grateful Dead without Jerry) at Rothbury 09 and was overwhelmed by the deadheads. Seeing the documentary was almost as if it took place just a year ago, since deadheads were generally exactly the same. It showed a lot about how some hippies just partied and went there to get as messed up as they could, and how others really cared about the community.

Loerwyn
January 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Last one for me was Sealab 2021 - Season 1, one of the many Adult Swim DVDs out there. Pretty good, better than I expected actually. The humour was great, and I think they did the best they could with what resources they had (I believe it was mostly made up by editing existing things from Sealab 2020).

Before that was Robot Chicken - Seasons 3 & 4. Again, pretty good but still very hit-and-miss in terms of both laughs and quality.

Sonja Ravenscroft
January 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Samurai Jack Seasons 1-4

Some of the best hand drawn animation I've seen in a while :)

Sonja Ravenscroft
January 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Last one for me was Sealab 2021 - Season 1, one of the many Adult Swim DVDs out there. Pretty good, better than I expected actually. The humour was great, and I think they did the best they could with what resources they had (I believe it was mostly made up by editing existing things from Sealab 2020).

Before that was Robot Chicken - Seasons 3 & 4. Again, pretty good but still very hit-and-miss in terms of both laughs and quality.

I liked Robot Chicken the first season or two (The Star Wars Vs Star Trek con fans war is my favorite), but to me it just because excess just because they good, with the blood, sex, bodily functions, ect-just kinda meh for me after season 2.