SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

mickyg
October 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hi

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for some movies or tv series that are based either on fantasy or medieval Europe.

I have a low tolerance for crap so please no Uwe Boll or otherwise cheesy suggestions!!

I guess things like The Tudors (haven't seen it yet), or movies like Robin Hood would be what I'm after. I'm not scared off by deep political movies or series either, not that I'm likely to find too many under my criteria.

Thanks everyone!

Third Eye
October 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hi

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for some movies or tv series that are based either on fantasy or medieval Europe.

I have a low tolerance for crap so please no Uwe Boll or otherwise cheesy suggestions!!

I guess things like The Tudors (haven't seen it yet), or movies like Robin Hood would be what I'm after. I'm not scared off by deep political movies or series either, not that I'm likely to find too many under my criteria.

Thanks everyone!

The Tudors was fantastic definitely get the seasons on DVD. The Pillars of the Earth was also very well done.

I cannot think of many good fantasy movies or TV series. LOTR of course but the books are far better. True Blood is not really fantasy more horror I guess but is fun. It is the only vampire based series that I enjoy although I wouldn't buy the books as I am just not that interested.

There are so many movies based in Medieval Europe I wouldn't even know where to start. I like Shakespeare adaptations quite a bit although I am picky about who does them. Kenneth Branagh is one of my favorite actors and does Shakespeare better than most. Henry V was brilliantly done as was Othello.

mickyg
October 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks Third Eye, I love the Pillars of the Earth and knew there was a series in the works, but I didn't know it had already aired.

That's definitely on the list.

Orbison
October 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Have you watched the Cadfael TV series? It's a set of 13 75-minute long historical murder mysteries. They're set between 1135 and 1150, slap-bang in the middle of the, err, Middle Ages. :)

Another TV suggestion, though it takes place 200 years or so after the Middle Ages, is Sharpe - starring Sean Bean. It's got Lords and Ladies, army life during the Napoleonic wars, and Sharpe and his merry band of Chosen Men trekking through the Spanish countryside.

Bastard
October 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Some TV:

Not medieval, but you should enjoy something like Rome and Spartacus.

Carnivale is interestingly weird.

Aktunka
October 25th, 2010, 12:16 AM
For movies the only one I can think of off hand would be Excalibur. I love that movie. And I suppose you could add Monty Python and the Holy Grail to the mix.

For TV I highly recommend Rome and Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Maybe a bit earlier than Medieval, but very much in the same vein. Rome was great and so was Spartacus. For the Spartacus you may need to give it till about episode 4 before it really kicks into high gear, but it is very enjoyable. Nothing is as it seems and the twists and turns are great. Word of warning: If you are prudish about sex, language, or highly stylized bloody violence, then maybe Spartacus will not be for you.

*EDIT* I also enjoyed Carnivale, but it is nothing at all like what you are asking about. Worst thing about Carnivale is that it was canceled before the show could be properly finished.

Third Eye
October 25th, 2010, 12:51 AM
For TV I highly recommend Rome and Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Maybe a bit earlier than Medieval, but very much in the same vein. Rome was great and so was Spartacus. For the Spartacus you may need to give it till about episode 4 before it really kicks into high gear, but it is very enjoyable. Nothing is as it seems and the twists and turns are great. Word of warning: If you are prudish about sex, language, or highly stylized bloody violence, then maybe Spartacus will not be for you.

Right on Aktuna Spartacus: Blood and Sand is one of my all time favorites. It was extremely well written, directed and acted. There was authenticity in the brutality of the series. Sadly the future of the show is in question as Andy Whitfield's (Spartacus) cancer has returned and is going to have to resume aggressive treatment. The cancer had gone into remission and he had started training for the second season but it is back again. I wish him all the best I have lost family members to cancer and my heart goes out to him and his family. I wish him a speedy recovery.

From what I have read it looks like STARZ is going to try to find a replacement and if they do I will not watch the show again. Andy Whitfield made that show. He took the Spartacus character and made it his own. STARZ should honor the man and either wait and see if Andy can pull through after this round of treatment or simply end the show.

Bastard
October 25th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Third Eye, STARZ actually did quite a bit of waiting to accommodate Andy. Particularly with doing a prequel of the story.

I just never understood these kinds of sentiments particularly when there are a lot of people involved who are affected by this (crew members and other actors that also need to make a living). In fact, it was Andy himself that stepped down from the role about a month ago to go through that aggressive treatment.

It's sad that it happened, but let's not paint STARZ as the bad guys here or the production company, etc.

algernoninc
October 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
have you seen "The Princess Bride" ? it's both medieval and fantasy. Not much realism, but great fun.

Also based on a book, well done early medieval period is "The Name of The Rose"

There was also a short series about Attila on TV I think, but I only watched the first part.
If you're interested in non-european 1600's maybe Shogun with Richard Chamberlain. Or any of Akira Kurosawa epics.

Ingmar Bergman has a disturbing medieval drama: Jungfrukallan [The Virgin Spring]

Bond
October 25th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Kingdom of Heaven, Elizabeth, Marco Polo (1982 TV miniseries), Arabian Nights (2000 TV miniseries), A Man for All Seasons, The Lion in Winter, Braveheart, Rob Roy, Luther, Andrey Rublyov.