View Full Version : Terra or Earth?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Talaith
July 21st, 2002, 03:32 AM
I've noticed in many of the older science fiction stories Earth is typically referred to as Terra, but it seems that more recent stories have moved away from using Terra.

Now, I can see why writers started using Terra. Most people when referring to the Earth tend to write "earth" - which is dirt, as opposed to a planet. It just wouldn't do to have your heros, exploration service, space marines, etc going around telling alien civilizations from planets with proper place names that they are from dirt.

Any ideas when, and why, Terra fell out of favor and Earth started being used in stories as the proper place name for our planet?

As a tangent: does anyone else get annoyed when people don't capitalize the E in Earth when referring to the planet, or is it only me?

Holbrook
July 21st, 2002, 03:40 AM
Simple...... It's all Star Trek's fault.

Think on it prior to the mid 1960's most SF books called Earth, Terra. After Kirk (with his half mast trousers appeared) it was Earth *sigh*

On a side note, I saw the first programme of this "new" "Trek" not bad, but I have a bad feeling it is going to go the way of the others.... Overloaded with"we are so noble and good and we pour our female characters into moulded costumes so they can't walk correctly, let a lone breathe"

Give me B5 anyday *g* I want a white star for Christmas, Holbrook.....

andolimont
July 21st, 2002, 04:56 AM
As they both mean the same thing, I can't see what possible difference it might make. But I guess (for Star Trek) Terra ment something more elusive or foreign sounding. I feel earth is rather mundane as I define science fiction lingo. Its something we take for granted, whereas, Terra emotes a different emotion and idea of the more educated and futuristic earth, more mature and exotic.

So really it dosen't matter except to a person's point of view....

Loque
July 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
while i agree that B5 is monumentally superior to Star Trek (of which i am also a big fan) I think it worth mentioning that they also call it Earth.

Holbrook
July 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM
Yes, but Captain Sheridan and Garibaldi wear clothes they can move in comfortably with out looking like they are sucking their guts in;)

Susan Ivanova, is not squeezed into a a suit she can't sit down in and is treated as if she has brains. And Delenn, what can a say? One clever lady...:p

Marcus Cole...... Alfred (I will be seeing you) Bester...... G'Kar...Londo.....

With all that I can forgive them calling Earth, Earth.......

On second thoughts I want the Excalibur as long as Techo Mage Galen (Peter Woodward) comes along for the ride....

Loque
July 21st, 2002, 11:30 AM
/agrees

my brother managed to get every episode of Babylon 5 on video over the course of about 3 months because they were being sold off all over the place at 1.50 a throw :)

milamber_reborn
July 22nd, 2002, 01:46 AM
In games, especially RTS's, humans are called Terrans. It just sounds more galactic than the human race.

Talaith
July 22nd, 2002, 02:48 AM
I agree - Terra does sound a bit better, especially as an adjective. Terran starships sound powerful and sleek, while Earthen starships sound like pottery. :D

Ogg
July 22nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Holbrook
Simple...... It's all Star Trek's fault.

Give me B5 anyday *g* I want a white star for Christmas, Holbrook.....

LOL!!! B5 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: U mean you watched that?!?

Holbrook
July 22nd, 2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Ogg

LOL!!! B5 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: U mean you watched that?!?

Don't be so shocked ;) I watched every one and have all the TV movies on video. As they were not shown on TV here, least I can't remember them being.

I have two B5 't' shirts and a white star pin (brought me for my birthday one year.......)

:D :D :D

It's the one SF programme I liked, can't stand Star Trek, or Star gate or Andromada(sp)