View Full Version : Another Request for Help Locating Title/Author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

sn2010
November 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hi,

A couple of times in the past I have posted to this forum a description of a short story in the hopes that someone could tell me the title/author, and people have been kind enough to do so (Orson Scott Card's "Unaccompanied Sonata" was one). The story I'm trying to recall this time is about a human who, if I recall correctly, is the pilot of a small star fighter within a larger armada that is about to have a battle with a bunch of alien spaceships. All of a sudden, the pilot finds himself transported into a big dome with a wall down the center of it, and on the other side of the wall is one of the aliens. They slowly figure out that they have to try to kill each other, and that maybe their individual battle is supposed to take the place of the larger space battle that was about to begin. I can't remember what happens in the end (I think the human figured out some weird way to get to the other side of the wall, but I also think there was some sort of internal personal growth that had to occur), and I can't remember how/why they ended up in the dome in the first place--I have a vague recollection that some sort of higher power wanted either to settle the battle with single combat to avoid bloodshed or maybe teach both sides a lesson. Sorry I can't be more specific. Anyway, does anybody know the title/author of the story in question? As always, thanks so much for your help!

Sam

Randy M.
November 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hi,

A couple of times in the past I have posted to this forum a description of a short story in the hopes that someone could tell me the title/author, and people have been kind enough to do so (Orson Scott Card's "Unaccompanied Sonata" was one). The story I'm trying to recall this time is about a human who, if I recall correctly, is the pilot of a small star fighter within a larger armada that is about to have a battle with a bunch of alien spaceships. All of a sudden, the pilot finds himself transported into a big dome with a wall down the center of it, and on the other side of the wall is one of the aliens. They slowly figure out that they have to try to kill each other, and that maybe their individual battle is supposed to take the place of the larger space battle that was about to begin. I can't remember what happens in the end (I think the human figured out some weird way to get to the other side of the wall, but I also think there was some sort of internal personal growth that had to occur), and I can't remember how/why they ended up in the dome in the first place--I have a vague recollection that some sort of higher power wanted either to settle the battle with single combat to avoid bloodshed or maybe teach both sides a lesson. Sorry I can't be more specific. Anyway, does anybody know the title/author of the story in question? As always, thanks so much for your help!

Sam

This sounds a bit like Fredric Brown's short story, "Arena." I'm not positive because it's been so long since I read it last and because my memory of it is tainted a bit by a Star Trek (original series; Kirk vs. the large rubber lizard) dramatization of it.

Randy M.