PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Mansion fiction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Celia
November 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'd appreciate any help in trying to remember the title of a book I read sometime around the early 1990's. It was on the new arrivals shelf at the local library, so that narrows down the publication date. It was definitely before 1995.

What I remember about the story:

Some kind of parallel universe in which the Winchester Mansion actually had stairs that lead to other rooms, where in our universe they don't. And maybe a fire in the mansion?

Some kind of post-apocalyptic society where children are born with strange colors of hair.

Some kind of object kept in a box that has weight and mass, but can't be seen.

I've been trying to remember more about this story for years but don't seem to have much to go on. I thought if there are any Winchester Mansion fans out there, one of them might remember reading this and be able to help me out.

It was a great read. Wish I could find it again.....Thanks

Kichebo
April 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I know this is an old post and that you may not even keep up with this site after four years. However I am here to tell you that I have read this book. Sadly I too can not remember the name or author. I do however remember a little more of this book. I was thinking maybe with my details someone else might see this and know which book it is.

The basic story is that a large portion of the population of the world disappears over night. The story takes place 50? years after this happens. The building the people in the story have made their base it the Winchester Mansion. Through the book we realize there are new colors that the new generation sees. We also find out the people disappeared because *in theory* the dimensions collided, and are beginning to merge. One man dies by drowning in an empty pool that had been renovated into a huge garden. The plants and man appear to have suddenly been underwater for a set period of time. The water in the mans lungs turns out to be chlorinated. They believe a dimension with a full pool temporarily collided with the one that was dry drowning the man who was taking a walk through his garden. At one point the mansion catches on fire. The children who have an evolved ability to travel voluntarily through the dimensions save members of the community by taking their hand and Sliding them through the house in paths through dimensions in which the house was NOT burning.

Sometimes I remember other parts. If this helps anyone else identify this book please let us know. I was afraid I had imagined this book and unless I wrote it would never get to read it again. *I have quite a few book memories like this* It is a relief to know that this book actually exists so I might one day find it and read it again because I can't for the life of me remember how it ends. =)

I'd appreciate any help in trying to remember the title of a book I read sometime around the early 1990's. It was on the new arrivals shelf at the local library, so that narrows down the publication date. It was definitely before 1995.

... ... ...

It was a great read. Wish I could find it again.....Thanks

Kichebo
April 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/114555.Vanishing_Point

Celia
July 28th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks so much for posting :) I had forgotten all about this. Definitely going to read it again now....