View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SusF
July 23rd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Is anyone playing this RPG? Anyone have any opinions?

Susan

Alucard
July 24th, 2002, 02:57 AM
I am currently saving for this, so I don't own it, but I have played it. As far as PC RPGs go, this is about as good as it gets. Not only is the single player campaign huge and very well done, the multiplayer, by allowing a player to be a DM (dungeon master) and change the game on the fly like the pen and paper game, is simply awesome. Also, the interface is very easy to use, so I think newcomers could have just as much fun with it as the hardcore RPG people. From the two hours I spent with this game, I'd say it's well worth the money. I'm looking forward to being able to afford mine.

Hobbit
July 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
I have a copy Sus, but haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet! :(

DarthV
July 24th, 2002, 09:32 AM
It was an expensive game, no doubt about it! After taxes, it cost me $92CAD. Ouch! Lots and lots of gameplay... some friends and I have been playing online. The ability to use homemade modules etc etc just makes this game rule !

Lord Raziel
July 26th, 2002, 03:25 AM
I have just recently purchased this game , but as yet I have ony gotten my character through the begining training part. I have never played any of the D&D typ games weather it be paper and pen or pc rpgm so this is all new for me. It is a lot different and mor in depth than any of the rpg games I have played, up untill now my favorite was Dungeon Siege. Maybe once i get some more expirience playing this game I will learn to like it more.

DarthV
July 26th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Not sound like a fanboy, but I don't think there is anyway to compare the RPG elements in Dungeon Siege with those of Neverwinter Nights. Apples & oranges! I played DS when it came out and found it to be much much too linear... a->b->c. NWN allows you to explore different areas...the plot is still linear, but how you get through the game is up to you.

I had thought the graphics for NWN would not come close to the gorgeous ones in DS, but I was pleasantly surprised when I loaded up the game for the first time @ 1280x1024 with some FSAA & anisotropic filtering. The boys from Bioware did one hell of a good job putting NWN together.

fluffy bunny
July 26th, 2002, 09:03 PM
am about to get it- heard u really need to do this multiplayer to get the most out of it.

Anyone wanting to set up a campaign (or want me to convert some old AD&D adventures from the attic), or just want to do the coop single player?

Lord Raziel
July 28th, 2002, 07:12 AM
I don't think you sound like a fan boy, actually things like that don't enter my mind.

I will definaltely agree on the fact that NWN is more of an RPG than DS. Like I said I had not played a D&D game before and I guess a real rpg.

Untill about six months ago I was not a big gamer, but then me and my friends started palying some 1st person shooter games and I just gradually spread out from there. The reason I tried out DS is because the first game I everplayed on the pc was TA:Kingdoms an RTS made by Cavedog a company that DS designer and owner of GPG worked for. I like DS for its simplicity and graphics as well as the ease of character movement.
So when my friend suggested that I get NWN when it came out I decided to try it. I had heard some talk of the graphics being great, and the story being more in depth than DS so I went and got it.

When I loaded the game and began to pick a character I had realized I was in a world I had never been in before, and I was not sure how to proceed. I picked my character and all the attributes and things you are suppossed to select and went throught the game I played throught the training level and entered the city and at that point I had to turn it off. It was just to overwhelming, so many questions from the computer, and the movment and attacks of my character did not flow smoothly.

I haven't played it since but I think that I will today or tommorrow, it may be that I have to give it some time and let myself adapt to the games style of play, only time will tell.

Maybe if you more expirienced Players could give me some tips on how to play it might help me adjust to the game faster.

DarthV
July 28th, 2002, 02:34 PM
You can always check out the Bioware forums...

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/

Shimrod
August 7th, 2002, 05:21 AM
I'll first have to buy a new computer to play these games like Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter Nights :( So it would become an alltogether too expensive game.

I'm a bit of an old fashioned gamer. I do love RPG's but i guess nowadays only graphics and sound counts. Where are the days, my friend, when Bard's Tale ruled and the SSI games like Pool of Radiance and the Secret of the Silver Blades? Or the first Might and Magic?

With my 32MB and 4MB video I'm trapped in the previous century and now I'm depressed..................